Hens & sewage

• 8 Replies

Eileen M

Hens & sewage
« on: May 13, 2013, 13:27 »
Hi all

This morning we had a drain company pumping a drain local to our house and unfortunately, the sewage started to pump out of the drain in our garden. Luckily, I noticed it as it happened as our hens were worryingly giving it a lot of attention & started to peck around in it. In a mad rush I gathered them up & locked them in their run.  The drain company are due back this afternoon to pump it out & disinfect.  I'm now conerned about the health of our hens. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about their quick peck around  and also should I dispose of the eggs for a few days?  :(
Love my husband, my animals & my garden!

helens-hens

Re: Hens & sewage
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 13:50 »
I may be tempted to dispose of the eggs for the next few days.....

Keep an eye on the hens, but if they were just pecking around a bit I should think they would be OK. Remember that they poop in their run and will be pecking around that during the course of the day, every day.

I bet it smelt a bit when all this was going on!
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 14:47 »
If you are unsure what to do your local Council Environmental Health Dept are probably the ones to report it to.  Not just for your hens but for the fact that their has been a spillage I think they should be notified. You need to know what they are using to disinfect the area as it may be unsafe for your hens to graze the area for some time.  Let us know how you get on.

I would personally dispose of the eggs for at least 4 days.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Eileen M

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 14:56 »
Thanks for your reply Helen & advice.

Yes it did smell dreadful; not sure if it's as bad now or if I'm just immune to it!!

We've just moved the hen house & run to a fresh site so they should ok for a couple of days, although they're not too happy about being confined.  Hopefully the rain we're forecast tomorrow will wash it all away.

No, I don't think we'll be eating the eggs for a few days even though it's such a wasteful shame.  More concerned that the hens will be ok though   :(

Thanks ANHBUC, oh ok, for about 4 days, will do.  The chap that's been out twice today was from Environmental Health.  He said to keep the hens away for a couple of days.

Thanks again
Eileen
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 14:58 by Eileen M »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 15:19 »
As chemicals like domestos are put down toilets I don't think a couple of days would make much difference.  You may be able to ask them to do soil analysis so that you know it is safe for yourself, your pets and any vegetables you might grow.  I would ring Citizens Advice to see what your rights are.   ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 15:25 »
Harpic is what I use I think I would be asking for a soil test too. Some of that stuff is potent. Poor chooks.  :(

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 20:01 »
Dont know if I should be telling this, in China and Indai, they put the night soil straight out in where ever they have food plants and hens running about, human soil is sold dried by sewage farms, I know it is sterilised during the drying process

On farms, hens are usually running loose among cow/horse droppings

I would be very concerned with what they are sterilizing the area with

Just a note on the smell, if you can imagine your nose is full of bubbles (like bubblew wrap) as each one fills with a smell, it becomes less noticeable (the reason you cant smell your pefume or aftershave after 5 minutes) if you leave the area for a short while the smel returns as the bubbles empty of any smell returns and you can smell it again (this is why any gas leak can be dangerous, you get used to it)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:30 »

But they are herbivores. :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 16:16 »

But they are herbivores. :blink:

Yes, they are, and their droppings are left in piles, where as human waste is piped away, but if either get into the ground water, disease will follow

Herbivore waste is just as harmfull as human waste

I would be interested in how they sterlized the area and with what ?

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 38 queries.