Mould on my seed trays

• 4 Replies

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
Mould on my seed trays
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:00 »
Hi,

I recently started sowing the seeds for this year. The garden was a mess and I figured they could get started whilst I sorted it out. No chance of keeping them at home as we have a five week old and the place is enough of a mess already!

I've recently built a shed with a glass front, which I thought would be ideal, but due to the recent low temperatures has struggled to get warm. I've now erected a plastic greenhouse inside the shed which has improved the temperature a little.

However, this morning I can see mould on all of the trays. Is this ok?

They've been in for between 3-5 days and there are signs of germination on a few. I'm just wondering if it's a sign of too much, or too little watering. Any ideas? Should I bin them and start again, or is it normal and nothing to worry about?

TIA

Simon

compostqueen

Re: Mould on my seed trays
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:16 »
If the compost is cold and wet your seeds will rot off before they get chance to germinate. They need moisture, warmth and light generally speaking

What seeds are they?  Unless we know what you're growing we can't really give advice. 

If they have begun to germinate I wouldn't be chucking them out just yet. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:23 »
Mould is almost inevitable in prolonged damp, cool conditions - try leaving the plastic greenhouse off during the day and replacing at night if possible, make sure the compost is no more than damp, and then cross your fingers.

Most seeds should be uncovered once germinated as they can be prone to damping off as well as mould and/or mossy growth on the growing medium.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bigfatsi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:08 »
Cheers for the replies. I've planted tomatoes, chillies, peppers, basil, coriander, sprouts, swede, green beans, spinach, leeks, cauliflowers, beetroot, cabbage, pumpkin, sweetcorn and comfrey.

I'll keep the door open during the day and see how things go!

S.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 20:07 »
Check the seed packet labels carefully.
Plants such as tomatoes, chillies etc all need minimum temps to germinate and they won't get it in an unheated greenhouse!
Others such as brassicas and leeks would be ok and parsnips, beetroot, radish etc can be sown straight out into the beds.
Not time yet for courgettes, squash or runners.......again they need heat.

xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
smiley
my new little seed trays

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 00:45
by peedee555
xx
seed trays

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 15:43
by PurplePixie
xx
seed trays.

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 19:06
by legendaryone

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 29 queries.