Bell Peppers

• 18 Replies

Lardman

Bell Peppers
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:06 »
What's the point ?  ??? I've just harvest my first red bell pepper (Californian wonder) and frankly it was rubbish. The skin was tough the flesh was thin,chewy and lacked any juice at all.  I've only ever managed to get them to the green stage before but if this is as good as they get, they'll have to put in "not worth bothering" column.

Bad experience or do we just not have the climate to make it worth while?

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
Re: Bell Peppers
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:56 »
Never had any like growing these. Thought I'd give it one last go this year but again disappointment so I shall not be bothering again.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 13:03 »
Same here too I will not be growing them next year.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 14:15 »
Best crop ever for me.  Have just cut up two and they are wonderfully crisp and juicy.  I grew them in my polytunnel as others who try outside don't seem to have much success.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 14:20 »
I've had my greenhouse for 7 years now and last year was the only crop of bell peppers that I could say grew perfectly.
This year they keep being eaten by little cattypiddlers  :mad:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:35 »
I've just harvest my first red bell pepper (Californian wonder) and frankly it was rubbish.

California Wonder seems to be the variety perpetually available - like Moneymaker tomatoes - which in my view are a disappointment, and I wonder why seed companies produce them (clearly lots of people like them enough to buy the seed??)

I've had a lot more success with the poncy F1 varieties ... bought in the 50p-a-packet sales, otherwise each seed costs more than the cost of buying Peppers in the supermarket!!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21 »
I've never seen California Wonder - Bell boy is the common bell pepper down here :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21 »
We fail every year but its one of those I just have to try and fail at  ;). Next year trying the tunnel

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:08 »
Californian Wonder is the variety I've grown this year - for me they aren't as bad as Lardman has found them, but they don't compare particularly favourably with supermarket-bought sweet peppers, and are nothing like some I grew a few years ago which were fleshy, juicy, sweet and tasty.

Unfortunately I can't tell you the variety name  because they were part of a pack of mixed pepper seeds (and most of the other varieties in the pack were very average.)

For the record, the Californian Wonder were sown indoors, transferred to the GH, then back to a sunny windowsill about 4 weeks ago because I thought they might otherwise never ripen (when they do they go more or less straight from green to red.)

I don't find bell peppers particularly difficult to grow, but it would be nice to hear of a variety which reliably makes it worth the effort.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47 »
I've never seen California Wonder - Bell boy is the common bell pepper down here :)

I see Bell Boy (and Green / Red Bell, from memory) sold as plants in the Spring, but pretty sure they aren't on the seed racks aroundabout these parts :)

it would be nice to hear of a variety which reliably makes it worth the effort.

Snap! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 13:43 »
I have grown Doux d'espagne successfully in the greenhouse borders for yearsand have saved some seeds, so I could send a few if any of our regular members want to try them.
pm me.

Can't promise success, and I'm not sure how they would do in a pot, either, as they're greedy plants IMO - but you're welcome to try them  ;)

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 14:42 »
I've never had much luck with these. This year, I have two enormous plants, one with two peppers on it, and the other with three. The best ones I ever grew were from seeds that I knocked out of a supermarket long type. I was making a salad, and it was about time to sow seeds for peppers, so I just sowed the ones from the bought peppers. They came true, and it was the best crop I've ever had. Loads of sweet, juicy, large fruits.  Gues I know what I'm going to do next year.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 16:23 »
Last year I grew gypsy and I was very pleased with them both in flavour, crop and quality.  I don't have a greenhouse so I had just 4 plants crammed in a little growhouse.

This year I have grown "mini bell red" which have been pleasing but not that plentiful and also "tasty grill red" which so far look ok but just 3 large green peppers on one plant!

I bought a packet of california wonder in the wyevale sale (noticed when I got back that you got far more in the pack for the money than any other pepper!!) as it was about all they had left, not so sure about them now, might look out for a packed of Gypsy to grow again!

Hannah

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:16 »
I've been getting 2 good sized peppers per plant, later ones have been better but nothing to write home about. Really think to justify their place they'd need to give 15-20 peppers or have outstanding taste.  Off to room 101 with bell peppers. If I forget and you see me with seeds and compost next year can you please remind me  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17 »
I've been getting 2 good sized peppers per plant, later ones have been better but nothing to write home about. Really think to justify their place they'd need to give 15-20 peppers or have outstanding taste.  Off to room 101 with bell peppers. If I forget and you see me with seeds and compost next year can you please remind me  ;)

But next year could be the year Lardman, we have to keeo trying otherwise we'd have nothing to moan about...... Go on just one more try.  :lol:

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 41 queries.