Rookie Veg plot help ...

• 7 Replies

ET4

Rookie Veg plot help ...
« on: February 15, 2009, 15:37 »
Hello all,

I have took the plunge and decided to grow my own veg in our back garden  :)

I cleared a plot last year approx 10 Sq M. I have since re dug it over and dug in some general purpose compost and it's lookin pretty good !!

My first question is do I raise the bed?

Secondly I don't want to go into production with the veg, but how much could I expect to grow from this small plot?

Could I grow a little bit of everything on the plot?

Do I limit what I grow here? I am looking to grow 6 different veg here.

Any help you could give would be most apperciated.

Cheers

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Rookie Veg plot help ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 15:46 »
firstly welcome to the boards, secondly it might help us to know what the 6 veg you want to grow are, some take up more room than others.

raised beds are a personal choice, some people like them, some dont.

you might also like to add your location to your profile, some things grow well in one place but not another, this gardening lark is alot of trial and error

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 15:58 »
Hi there... have alook at this it was my inspiration to dig up some of my garden

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/veg3x3.asp

There are several different plots to click onto ...gives you some idea of what you could achieve.

Good luck

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 16:12 »
As mentioned already, raised beds are a personal choice, but mostly if your soil isn't too great or your health requires you work higher up. In poor soil, its best to raise the beds up with whatever good stuff you have. You can also place beds closer since the 'no walking' area is so clear within the beds.
As for crops, you don't say what you want. One rule though is don't grow what you don't like nor grow it because everyone else is. Stick with your preferences, master them well, then move onto other things you're interested in.

ET4

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 16:28 »
Cheers Guys,

I live in Stockport in the North West which is kinda protected by the Pennines.

At 34 I have no health issues .. although I do creak a bit in the morning :)

I've picked 6 veg that we all like, but left to the kids in the Garden Center it would have been a hell of a lot more :D

OK, we fancy Potatoes, Carrots, Cauliflower, Onion, Broccoli and a salad veg like Lettuce or Cucumber.

Thanks for the help !

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 17:17 »
potatoes take up a lot of room, why not grow them in containers or bags.   :)

GreenOwl

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:50 »
Raised or not is entirely up to you.

You can grow quite a bit in 10sq metre.  My veg plot is that size.  How much is a bit difficult to quantify.  You won't be self-sufficient but you know that.  I concentrate on the "value for space crops".  Beans, peas, courgettes, lettuce, tomatoes etc.  Mostly summer crops.

Potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli all take up space.  Have a gurgle on square foot gardening for help on maximising space. 

I do grow early potatoes and follow them with courgettes and sweetcorn (raised in modules so they go straight in when the potatoes come out.)  I don't grow cauliflower or broccoli because you need quite a few plants and they take up too much space.

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 17:29 »
I like no dig beds (for obvious reasons ;)  ::) :lol: ) but they don't have to be raised. Mine are 'elevated' (no wood) as I have heavy soil, which benefits from the extra drainage, but is otherwise very good soil.
Raised beds (same but tidied up with wood) would do just as well, but cost more and are more work to set up, as well as being harder to move if you decide you want to lay the plot out differently. 
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Rookie mistakes

Started by Donna Deeney on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2020, 18:25
by Subversive_plot
xx
Weedol - a rookie question

Started by basketcase on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 23:52
by basketcase
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 40 queries.