Rookie mistakes

• 3 Replies

Donna Deeney

Rookie mistakes
« on: June 21, 2020, 16:45 »
Hi,
This is my first attempt at growing vegetables and while peas, courgettes and lettuce are going well, beetroot,scallions and radishes have been disasters. I got lots of leaves with radishes and beetroots but nothing else. I planted them in troughs in compost inside a polytunnel. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? All help appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rookie mistakes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 19:10 »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successes  :D

I'm going to pop your question over to the Grow Your Own board for the veggie people to look at it.

In the meantime, did you sow them direct into the trough, or into modules which you've transplanted from?  How deep is the trough?  How long ago did you sow the seed?  Have you been feeding them at all and, if so, with what?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:27 »
I find with radishes, they grow less well as the season progresses, i.e. the days get warmer. This will be exacerbated in a polytunnel. I only ever grow them outside - and then early in the year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 18:25 »
My growing conditions will be very different from yours, but yes, radishes will require cooler weather (I'm in Georgia, USA). I can only grow radishes if I plant them in the late autumn / early winter.

Beetroot, I don't know if you will be able to form edible roots during summer (others may have opinions).  The good news is that the greens are very good.  Beetroot and Swiss chard are both varieties of the species Beta vulgaris.  [Sorry, no experience growing scallions].

Best of luck!  And congratulations on the peas, courgettes and lettuce!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 19:35 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Rookie Veg plot help ...

Started by ET4 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 17:29
by woodburner
xx
Weedol - a rookie question

Started by basketcase on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 23:52
by basketcase
xx
Mistakes I'v made

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:39
by senrab_nhoj
xx
My first 2 lottie mistakes....what to do?!

Started by Kabby on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 14:21
by purplebat

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 42 queries.