Bossy tech

• 17 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Bossy tech
« on: November 13, 2020, 14:20 »
We have Alexa in control here and you can’t seem to even switch a light on or off by hand without her getting in a strop. Humans messing with stuff she regards as hers is not encouraged !

I did think things had gone too far though, when OH told me today that he had received a telling off from his Apple watch. He has been listening to music which is too loud on his earphones, so it is limiting the volume from now.  Not ‘can I’ or ‘shall I’, just going ahead and doing it because clearly he cannot be trusted  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bossy tech
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 14:53 »
 :lol: :lol:
Being old school, I like/try to keep my mobile and my laptop for separate functions. They get in a strop because I don't choose to sync the two. I was under the impression that I chose how I wanted them to work!   ::) Obviously I'm wrong  :nowink:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 15:07 »
Gah, you wont find those filthy data leeches on my devices! Cortana is banished from my PC, long live the Paperclip Assistant!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 15:15 »
long live the Paperclip Assistant!

Good grief.  I remember when that thing was launched and how to switch it off was the hottest tip in town  :lol:

I refuse to use Siri or Cortana, but Alexa is not so bad when you get used to her. 

They get in a strop because I don't choose to sync the two.

Unfortunately I use a Mac at work, have an iPhone and now an iPad.  They formed an inseparable bond within seconds of meeting one another and I didn’t get a say at all  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 15:24 »
Gah, you wont find those filthy data leeches on my devices! Cortana is banished from my PC, long live the Paperclip Assistant!
I agree,   haven't got any of that stuff,  and don't use a mobile except for car breakdown (god forbid !)
Mind you, I wouldn't hear them anyway  :)    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 15:32 »
I use a windows laptop for ‘working’ on; an iOS tablets for surfing and social media; android for phone etc.

They all work differently and I have to shout at them sometimes (which makes no difference).  I don’t allow any of them to talk to me !!!  :ohmy:

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 18:28 »
My computer is totally independent of anything else, and only does what I tell it to do.  My phone doesn't even take photos, it just makes phone calls and it permanently switched off until I want to use it.  My life is therefore relatively free of unwanted interruptions, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 20:42 »
Not impressed by Windoze 10 these days - it's a constant battle to get it to do only what I want it to do rather than what its daddy would prefer me to do (sell my soul to them.  :ohmy:)
Have also spent most of today undoing the damage caused by the latest 'feature update', which killed their own browser on my PC.  :wacko:

Not at all sure even those at the sharp end have much of an idea how to control the monster they've created.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 23:37 »
Not impressed by Windoze 10 these days - it's a constant battle to get it to do only what I want it to do rather than what its daddy would prefer me to do (sell my soul to them.  :ohmy:)
Have also spent most of today undoing the damage caused by the latest 'feature update', which killed their own browser on my PC.  :wacko:

Not at all sure even those at the sharp end have much of an idea how to control the monster they've created.  :unsure:

Thankfully I have W10 Pro which means I can set group policies to stop things like auto updates and Cortana. It also means I don't need a Microsoft account to have the privilege of using my own PC. The good lady her indoors has standard W10 and it's a nightmare. I've had to include her into my network and subject her machine to my group policy to keep in control of her PC.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 06:12 »
We turned off Siri, when a strange metallic voice came from another room...

I have no problem with techy stuff, as the mobile is always in the car, Mrs Growster can't find hers anyway! I am in the process of finding the best way to transfer scanned pics (Growster-scanner now in use; may be the subject of a separate post, depends if you've got enough time to be bored senseless), from an Ipad to a PC. Itunes doesn't seem to like the Ipad, although its a 6th Generation, so it may have be Icloud, or Dropbox, which also gets the hump for some reason! Onedrive is a pain too, as I really do want all my pictures on my PC, not somewhere in Arizona!

It's a great winter challenge though, all this...

Christine

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 09:11 »
Yep had the PC a few years and one of the last updates asked me to finish my set up. Yeah right - set up the latest MS browser - well not used an MS browser since I went over to Netscape couple of millennia ago. I know lots of other easy to manage browsers which don't dictate to me. And no I'm not telling it what my phone is. Neither do I want an account for my MS docs - the old disc was for two PCs and this was the second. When this dies, well open office it is. As for Alexa and all her friends - well when I can't get round to switch things on and off so be it. At present they are all money well not spent.

jezza

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 11:45 »
Hello my phones beeping telling me that the mowers ignitions turned on it isn't  ,I have the mowers system over ridden to charge its battery jezza

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 12:12 »

For the benefit of anyone else who could fall into the same trap, the feature update is catchily named '20H2', and may or may not be waiting for you in Windows Update (it's a phased release.)

I think the Edge browser may have failed to survive the update because I wasn't running the latest version, which you can only check if you are able to open the browser, which of course I couldn't after installing the feature update!  ::) You might think the update installer would check this apparently critical requirement wouldn't you?  :unsure:

Can't guarantee this will avoid the problem, because having spent all day messing around with repair utilities and eventually restoring to a restore point, I'm in no hurry to take the plunge again!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 13:44 »
I wondered why Edge had disappeared off the pinned bar and then didn't  really want to work the other day - now I know  :wacko:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 10:40 »
We have a HomePod speaker in the bedroom so Su can listen to her playlists. While it works very well (when I talk to it) there is one downside... since Su cannot hold a book due to her disability I act as the Audiobook Reader and spend time reading through our collection of Pratchetts. It is really weird when suddenly out of nowhere Siri answers "I am sorry but I cannot help you with that." Any sentence beginning with "Basically..." sets it off and I am dreading the day anyone in the house mentions the Bay City Rollers"!

xx
Replacement tech

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 23:36
by grinling
xx
Video tech

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2021, 18:11
by John

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 56 queries.