Name that tool.......

• 25 Replies

Axe

• Experienced Member
Re: Name that tool.......
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 23:23 »
it looks like my fork from dobbies after i doubledug the claypitt in my garden! lol

i was gonna say it looks like some hay gathering tool but by the sounds of the other answer my guess sounds wrong lol

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 06:17 »
So does anyone else have any mysterious or unusual tools that they wish to share?  :unsure:

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 14:36 »
 i tend to agree with whats said my dad used to call it a drag he used to mould up the potatoes with it

i don't use the drag much myself today  but i know it was used for pulling dung out of the cart my drag was hand made by my grandfather who was a blacksmith :)

brandanexile

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 19:11 »
Hi Up here in Scotland we call this tool a Dung Hawk. In the days of the horse on the farm in winter time it was used to pull dung off a cart onto the fields in heaps called coops these coops were deposited on stubble fields at 5yd intervals each way. Once the midden was emptied the ploughmen spread the coops evenly over the stubble a process called scaling with a fork which we call a Graip up here.
              Regards Bob

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 20:14 »
Another vote for "Chrome", Saw one used in the early 1950's in Cambridgeshire. Horse and Tumbril cart (Two big wheels and a tipping body, high sided) full of muck from stables. Driver goes into field and pulls muck, with chrome,  from back of slightly tilted cart, to form a smal heap. Repeats the process until field is covered in little, evenly spaced, muck heaps.
Stage 2. Labourers arrive with forks and throw the muck from the heaps evenly over the field. Horsmen (carters) were futher up the hierarchy of agricultural labourers and on big farms didn't use forks! Heap spacing was crucial, twice the distance apart that a man could fling the muck. Further with mature rotted muck than fresh muck from the cattle yard or stable.

savbo

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 11:57 »
just saw from Wiki that crome/chrome comes from German 'krumm' meaning bent...like krummhorn...

240173paul

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 20:49 »
I call it a 'drag' and it is the tool I use most on the lotty - excluding the Merry Tiller!!!!!!!!!

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 05:04 »
It looks very similar to what's sold as a rock rake here. Its used to gather and lift rocks without bending down for them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:13 »
I've got my grandfather's, he called it a "muck drag". At the end of the day, it's whatever you make of it and it's no doubt a versatile utility tool.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 05:18 »
I used to have a Canterbury Hoe head on a short shaft, so that I could pull coal forward in the bunker.

Used to work like a dream, until I needed a hoe for the plot, so the coal stays at the back now...

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23 »
I must admit as a 'utility tool' it has been absolutely superb since I discovered it. It's best use though has been clearing the heavily grassed over parts of the plot as I have reclaimed them for beds. It clears a 10' x 4' patch ready for digging over in about 10 minutes. I'm seriously considering seeing if the local ironmongers/hardware shop are able to fit a new and longer handle to it, as it has been that useful.

xx
best tool to cut down brambles please

Started by eco-friendly on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 07:47
by mushroom
xx
tool hooks

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 18:29
by Lardman
xx
tool sharpeners

Started by gardener247 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 07:42
by smud6ie
xx
The most useful tool in your shed?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post June 01, 2016, 14:33
by J_B

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.