Glyphosate vs Amcide vs Other?

• 5 Replies

Babycat

• Experienced Member
« on: August 17, 2007, 16:48 »
I have a 6.5 rod plot which has not been cultivated for years.  We have managed to clear about 2 rods so far by hand but thanks to the weather we are now facing a suitable training campus for the Viet-Cong to hide in.  

Ideally, I would like to use minimal chemicals on site but I feel we need something to blast the bulk of the weeds so we can at least get a head start.

We have an excellent petrol strimmer for shortening the BEGGERS to ground level.  Our weeds are multiple - we have them all, especially mares tail which I understand is a recurring dinosaur  :shock: .

What is best?  I'd like to napalm the site over the next month and then cover it to stand unused until February time?

help is much appreciated

x Gina

edited for a nortyyyy word  .. please remember we have children who are site members
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 17:58 »
use roundup and let it lay until novenember n then give any more weeds a belt again
still alive /............

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 19:31 »
You'll want a bit of regrowth before you spray though. You can't beat a glysophate - and not necessarily roundup as some of the non branded ones have better wetting agents.
Only thing is that you will struggle to get anything else for use on non agricultural / industrial ground.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 20:48 »
I'm with everyone else on this, you can still get others such as  "deep root & stump" which contains the same stuff as amicide. But it is not as economical as the glyphosate gang. One word on the G word check the bottles as a lot of the shops own brands have less % G.

When the plot goes brown and dry after your first spraying I usually burn it just be careful of other plots but it is the quickest way.

Even after your second spraying when you finally get round to digging you will get yet another burst of weeds so get your hoe ready  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mushroom

Re: Glyphosate vs Amcide vs Other?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:53 »
Quote from: "Babycat"
I have a 6.5 rod plot which has not been cultivated for years.  We have managed to clear about 2 rods so far by hand

hi,

I got an overgrown allotment back in June and faced much the same problems you've encountered. The plot is now almost completely clear, and is growing crops. I can post some before/after pictures in this thread if you want.

I had to work on about a 1/3 of the plot initially by hand because of buried debris. With that gone, my OH cut the grass down to size (from over 6 feet to about 6-8 inches) with shears. Then I got a rotovator, and went over it about 3 times.

The rest of the plot got the same treatment, apart from the fact that after the remaining 2/3rds were trimmed with the shears, we used roundup (glyphosate) on that portion, allowed it to die (took a week), then rotovated it into the ground. I went over this part 5 times to a depth of 18 inches. Then i got some agricultural mustard, and that is growing there now. I want to plant onion sets and potatoes in this patch, but it's not time yet, so the mustard will be rotovated in as green manure when it's time to plant the onions and potatoes.

clearing an entire plot by hand is great if you're going to live a thousand years and have nothing else to do  :wink:

Babycat

• Experienced Member
thank you
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 15:33 »
Thank you Shroom!

I am getting some Amcide and then we are going to cover it until the winter and manure.

I have a 10 week old baby so getting there is a challenge, let alone clearing it by hand  :)

x Gina

xx
glyphosate usability

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 14:37
by noshed

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.