Ducks per Sq Mtr

• 7 Replies

Prod

Ducks per Sq Mtr
« on: April 28, 2013, 13:47 »
Following on from my post re Ducks/Houdini etc  I have now built a separate enclosure for my 2 pairs of Call ducks.  I managed to create an area of just over 20qmtrs, 1  mtr high. Each pair has their own coop and small pool.  Do you think this is a big enough area for 4 Call Ducks???

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Ducks per Sq Mtr
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 19:53 »
Generally the minimum recommendation is about 2m2 each so that should be fine. They do make an incredible mess so often nice if there is a grassed area they can spend a bit of time on as it never seems to last when they are on it all the time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:50 »
Well the enclosure is on a small field  so plenty of grass.  I hope it is just a temporary measure until the one pair settle down.  The other pair, which are the newest, are really calm and stay on the field  but the first pair, the silver ones, just will not stay put.  Even after I put them in the new enclosure I went to check last night and they had got out and gone into the neighbours garden where they were merrily swimming in their pond!!!  Eventually I caught them and decided to clip their wings so I am hoping they will stay put now............

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:30 »
If they are ready to nest I wonder if they are wanting to choose their own nest site? 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 16:07 »
Well that is interesting  because the female of Chocolate pair, who never escape, first laid her eggs in the coop. Last week however she started laying under the hedge.  Since I fenced them in she has become a bit agitated when she wants to lay and paces up and down the enclosure looking over towards the hedge. Then she laid in the other coop!!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 16:17 »
I think they will try to choose where they think the nest will be safest/most hidden.  She may want to be able to see if any predators are approaching.  If she can't see out of the coop she might not feel safe.

Prod

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 19:20 »
I built them  little shelter in the corner about 8 inches from the ground and put some straw in and she has gone in there and laid an egg and was in there most of the day so maybe she is going broody?

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 19:49 »
She must be happy that she can see what is coming and is sheltered enough.  I thought they wouldn't sit until they have a clutch of eggs though.   :unsure:

xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks ?

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2009, 16:39
by Rubellite
xx
I have my new ducks!!!

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 19:04
by Vember
xx
Ducks

Started by hlaw9t34zl on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 22:57
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 36 queries.