Poop with worms I think

• 4 Replies

woodsmoke

Poop with worms I think
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:10 »
A small amount of poop this week has had threads that look like cress seedlings without the green leaves.  There has not been enough for it to be more than one hen (I have four) and they all look healthy.  Presume this is some kind of worm picked up while foraging around the garden.  Advice please.  Everything I have read so far goes on about much nastier worms.  I looked at the poop pics and they look like one of those.  Treatment? Panic or not?
Also they are now on their winter quarters on concrete covered with playbark.  How often should I replace the bark?  Once a month?
Hoping the brown rectangle that was my lawn may recover.
Would it be a wicked thing to keep them on the concrete all year, letting them out to roam every day for an hour or more (depending on the day-length)?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Poop with worms I think
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:45 »
If you can take a picture of the wormy poo for us to see it would be easier to advise you.

First of all there is no need to panic if the hens seem well !  If you have not wormed them it would be a good idea to do it now.  Most of our hen keepers would recomend that you use flubenvet and you can read all about worms and worming here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.msg48401#msg48401

woodsmoke

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 17:26 »
I battled out into the wind, camera in hand, but there was no wormy poop.  I clear it all out midweek and then do a thorough clean on a weekend, so there has been no wormy poop since Wednesday.  Looking at the photos on this site it looks like the very last one therefore is probably Ascaridia galli as it says there.  But what now?
There is nowhere local to buy anything so I will go on the net presumably to get a wormer?  Chickens still look fine.  And laying 3 or 4 eggs a day between them.
Grateful for your replies.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 17:29 »
If they've not been wormed then yes get some wormer I always use Flubenvet and you will find in the link Auntie provided above there are some on line suppliers listed :D

Sarah :)

bexy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 17:31 »
 Could possibly be grass that has passed through......mine eat a lot of grass and often there is quite a bit that has passed through looking stringy.

xx
Worms in poop

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 13:25
by ANHBUC
xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
Poop Hole

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:31
by karlooben
xx
chick poop...

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 01:07
by Tony H

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 36 queries.