Bland Rhubarb Wine, why?

• 8 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Bland Rhubarb Wine, why?
« on: September 13, 2010, 15:01 »
Just bottled last years rhubarb wine, but there's something lacking in the taste.  Any idea why?  Can I improve now I have bottled it? Made from home grown which I had in the freezer as I had read frozen rhubarb is best.  :(
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

SG6

Re: Bland Rhubarb Wine, why?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 20:47 »
Rhubarb hasn't a strong taste so that will not help.

Not sure how much went in and did you reduce the acidity? Asking as if too acidic the yeast wouldn't work very well and it is often the fermentation of the rhubarb in a bucket with the yeast which enables the yeast to extract flavour from the fruit pulp.

Did you strip the skin off the rhubarb? Some people do and that is where I guess much of the flavour resides.

Really I am guessing the rhubarb wine is a bit on the difficult side. Acidic and not a strong flavour.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 22:31 »
Hi, yes i think it's probably just the nature of the fruit, the rhubarb was very thick and very green.  Perhaps we'll add cordial when we drink it, shame to waste it!  Thanks for the reply

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 22:47 »
Otis, have you any other wine that you could maybe try mixing a couple together?

I know its a different thing, but blackcurrant and apple wine was a lot drier than I actually like it, and some of the apple was very sweet, although it had the same amount o sugar added per gallon.  so I tried adding some more of the apple to the drier one and its really nice!

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 21:17 »
thanks for the idea, I have elderflower which has a very smooth sweet flavour, I'll experiment by mixing a couple of bottles.  husband thinks i'm turning into an alchoholic!! :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 00:34 »
Just tell him you are trying to save money by making your own!  It works with my Brian!! lol

Rhubarb and elderflower?  sounds good!!  :D

JoFroggatt

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 17:30 »
Just spotted this forum & thought I'd reply, as I tried a 'sweet rhubard wine' recipe last year from a book that my mum gave to me, called '500 Recipes Home-made Wines & Drinks' by Marguerite Patten.  I'm completely new to wine-making, & this was the first one I'd ever tried making, so I was really pleased as it turned out really nice (reminded me of Moscatel de Valencia as it was so sweet).

Just give me a shout if you'd like the recipe - I think there may be a couple of other variations of the recipe in the book too.

Jo.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 13:51 »
Hi Jo, yes please, if you dont mind.  The rhubarb forest in the veg patch is starting to show so I'll have plenty for another try  :)
Just spotted this forum & thought I'd reply, as I tried a 'sweet rhubard wine' recipe last year from a book that my mum gave to me, called '500 Recipes Home-made Wines & Drinks' by Marguerite Patten.  I'm completely new to wine-making, & this was the first one I'd ever tried making, so I was really pleased as it turned out really nice (reminded me of Moscatel de Valencia as it was so sweet).

Just give me a shout if you'd like the recipe - I think there may be a couple of other variations of the recipe in the book too.

Jo.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 17:09 »
Hi, what I do with my rhubarb wine, and yes this breaks all the rules, is to extract the flavour by boiling the rhubarb up in a little water and straining it though my wifes jelly making muslin bag. After that, just progress like normal :) I don't tend to correct the acidity as it has a german white character with the crispness of hock.

xx
Rhubarb wine...again!

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 20:09
by Kevin67
xx
Rhubarb Wine

Started by gregmcalister on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 07:34
by flatcap
xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by vanessa.xx on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 16:49
by BobE
xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by grinling on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 14:24
by elizabethspatch

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.