Blackberry Wine

• 9 Replies

Cazzy

Blackberry Wine
« on: June 16, 2010, 22:49 »
I made blackberry wine last August and it was a nightmare wine, wouldn't ferment properly no matter what I done with it. 

After the first month I had to put it back into a bucket and put another yeast starter into it, still nothing.  Sat it next to a heater, that helped very little.  Another lot of yeast and nutrient and I got about two bubbles per minute for a while.  I gave up and left it on top of my bookcase until tonight.

Checked the SG and had a taste, its a decent 12.3% and really is very tasty, I can't believe it, my first ever country wine and to think I almost put it down the sink months ago.

I'll bottle it tomorrow, how long would you more experienced members suggest leaving it to mature?

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

hank scorpio

Re: Blackberry Wine
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 15:58 »
I made blackberry wine last year too, i started drinking it after 6 weeks and it was great, fortunatly i still have 2 bottles left. With fruit wines i think you dont need to leave them to mature like root vegetable wines, so yours should be ready to drink now.

Cazzy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 23:32 »
Thats really interesting Hank, I was under the impression that blackberry wine should sit for either one or two years........... I like your answer better though  :D

I've used a fermentation stop and its now ready for bottling, I think i'll just be having some this weekend  :D

rock_chick

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 19:58 »
Often fruit wines can start to re-ferment when the fruit is back in season. We've found blackberry always starts to re-ferment if not drunk within the 1st year.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

SG6

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 20:14 »
Siphon/filter it into another demijohn. Basically leave as much sediment behind that you can. In the new container add a teaspoon of potassium sorbate. Leave it in the second demijohn for a day or two (next weekend?) then bottle. Again leave behind any sediment that may have settled out.

Blackberry wine will have a reasonable amount of tannin present and it can give a metallic taste, this is what is removed/redused/converted during maturing.

Generally a year is considered minimum for maturing, although 2 or 3 is good. Best Idea I would suggest is try one, as it is almost a year, if you want to and leave the rest until Christmas.

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 18:35 »

I'll bottle it tomorrow, how long would you more experienced members suggest leaving it to mature?

l keep my wines for in the demi johns between 18months to 2 years, racking when nessecary, some do a restart better in the demi john than in a bottle, l never use sulfates, by the time l bottle them they are clear, blackberry like apple wine l would mature for a minimum 3 years, this lets the wine mellow and become more rounded, instead of harsh on the throat, keep them in a dark very cool place, i opened a bottle of blackberry 5 years old
superbly smooth and the taste wow.
Best to have patiance it will pay off in a few years time, youll see.

Silky  :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

SG6

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 19:12 »
Well quite a few years would be best. :tongue2:

How about bottle it and have a couple next Christmas. :happy: :happy:

Blackberry will have started out with a reasonable amount of tannin in it and this needs time to mellow.

Although it may be drinkable in 6 months it will be better in a year and better again in 2 years. It depends on how you want it to be when you do drink it.

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:31 »
I can guarantee that if you get stuck into most of it but keep maybe one or two bottles and don't open them for three years, when you do your first thought will be along the lines of "Wow!  Worth the wait!" and your second will probably be of the "Wish I'd let the rest of that batch mature for three years too" variety.

Given the richness of the 2010 season for both hedge and cultivated fruits, I am seriously looking forward to 2013/2014!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 21:11 »

Given the richness of the 2010 season for both hedge and cultivated fruits, I am seriously looking forward to 2013/2014!

Here Here.

Silky  :D :D :D Hick, Hick, OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSS
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 21:13 by Silkworm »

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 18:48 »
There is a school of thought that says the wine will be better the larger the quantity and the larger vessel it is fermented in. (in which it is fermented).  :tongue2:  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Blackberry wine

Started by Celtic Eagle on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2007, 08:21
by hayles62
xx
Blackberry wine...

Started by Growster... on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:28
by Growster...
xx
Blackberry and Apple wine

Started by jenny53 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 10:18
by WH43
xx
Blackberry/Elderberry Wine....

Started by HelenK on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 22:37
by SG6

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.