Broken egg in broody clutch - do I clean the remaining eggs?

• 9 Replies

Foghorn-Leghorn

Hi, I'm sorry - here I am again asking for yet more advice!  I have searched back over the forum but can't find an answer to this question.

I put half a dozen eggs under my broody hen on Sunday and so far she is a complete trooper and very determined in her job.  However, when I took her off her eggs tonight for a feed and leg stretch there was a broken egg in the nest.  The broken egg has gone on the remaining eggs to an extent - so do I leave the eggs as is or do I attempt to clean off the spilt egg? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Thanks, HF.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
I would remove as much as you can by wiping with something dry (straw or bedding) but be very gentle and don't shake the egg. I had to clean on clutch of eggs when the hen had pooped on them  ::) and they hatched ok  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foghorn-Leghorn

Thank you Joyfull - that's the approach I had taken as I was loathe to mess with them too much but didn't know if leaving them slightly gooey was wrong and a full wash might be in order!  There's always something to learn with this chicken business!

joyfull

washing would remove the bloom which helps protect the egg by helping to keep anything odours from passing through the shell. I find as well that you have to be so careful when lifting the broody off the eggs to get her to go out and eat as they often have an egg tucked high up underneath them and these can fall and break (has happened to me a couple of times  :().

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Bad luck Foghorn - but hope the others will be ok? What day are you on - I'm up to day 8 now and keeping my fingers crossed as little Olive is quite happy on her dozen. Have you candled yet?

Foghorn-Leghorn

Joyfull - I remember you'd posted before about broodies tucking eggs under their wings and I always check her "armpits" before lifting here up - your advice has stood me in good stead as I did find the Silkie egg in there on one of the first days!  I think she broke the two eggs moving them around - one was of dubious shell quality I think so wasn't too surprised.

Tazzy - I'm on day four now.  To be honest I'm loathe to candle as the eggs are from a reliable source and I'm sure someone has mentioned before the broody generally knows duff eggs and tends to remove them from the nest.  I think on this one I'm happy to try not to mess with Imelda or her eggs anymore than I have to.  Good luck with your clutch!

Imelda and I are getting more into the swing of things now with her having two 10 minute breaks each day for food and a constitutional!  It's amazing how they turn into a different bird - from a squashed pile of feathers to a growly, hissy, head-pecking monster (to the other hens) in a matter of seconds!  She has got a broody coop and run but at the moment will only eat and drink if she's with the other girls at the regular feeding spot.  I'm not arguing yet as I just want to ensure she does get some food and water in her.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
I've been taking Olive out of her coop when the others have been out roaming, except once when Rosie, Queen of the coop, came in and tried to 'sort her out'. Which makes me think - will we have the pecking order starting again when she goes back in with the others?  ???

Foghorn-Leghorn

I wonder the same and then I think (and I know this is slightly premature and there is a very well known saying for a good reason!) but if chicks appear at the end of it, not only will it be for mum to re-establish herself in the flock but babies also!  Chickens!  I love 'em to bits but they've given me more to worry about than any other animal I've ever owned previously!

joyfull

never had a problem reintroducing mum and babies they just fit back into their original place  :)
I never candle and now I only hatch araucana eggs it's a waste of time trying - their eggs are very difficult to see through.

Foghorn-Leghorn

Thanks Joyfull  :)

xx
broody has broken all but 2 eggs - why?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 07:42
by joyfull
xx
broody sat on clutch for 3 days still laying

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 08:29
by jonandjen16
xx
How is best to clean eggs for sale?

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 14:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
to clean hatching eggs or not..........

Started by inchhighfly on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 20:11
by joyfull

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 29 queries.