Compost

• 19 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Compost
« on: February 06, 2016, 21:23 »
My compost bin is very woody i.e. mainly stems, anything I can do to make it rot down easier?

snowdrops

Re: Compost
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 22:27 »
Pull it all out & mix it with some fresh manure, it will help it heat up, do you put veg peelings etc in, urine also works as an activator
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 15:51 »
Pull it all out & mix it with some fresh manure, it will help it heat up, do you put veg peelings etc in, urine also works as an activator
Thanks for that, I will try to get hold of some manure and start putting veg peelings in.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 17:08 »
Also paper,egg shells,tea bags, basically any garden waste & food waste but no cooked foods  or meats,fish,that will attract rats. Mix them up & add in layers 6-9 inches deep except for grass cuttings sprinkle them around or they go slimy & smelly. If it's very dry give it a water.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 18:11 »
I've given up on tea bags, they won't rot down in a thousand years! ::)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 20:45 »

I think it depends on the brand. Someone gave me some, I think they were called 'Tea Pigs'. The taleaves inside had disappeared but the bags were the same as they went in two years before.

I read somewhere that the manufacturers are looking at developing a tea bag that does rot and is strong enough to not tear in use.

jezza

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 21:04 »
hi try nettle tops  or comfry leaves as an accelerator veg peelings and a few grass clippings help break woody materials down; i have just taken 6 barrow loads out of a compost heap another 15 to go if i dont get 15 -25 barrow loads out the heaps failed     jezza

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 21:12 »
Thanks all, sadly my lawn is so small I doubt grass clippings would help much and I never mow it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 22:15 »
I've given up on tea bags, they won't rot down in a thousand years! ::)

Cheers,  Tony.

I think it depends on the brand. Someone gave me some, I think they were called 'Tea Pigs'. The taleaves inside had disappeared but the bags were the same as they went in two years before.

I read somewhere that the manufacturers are looking at developing a tea bag that does rot and is strong enough to not tear in use.

I agree about it being brand-specific.  I read somewhere (so it must be true!) that some tea bags have silicone or something similar as a lining, which prevents them rotting down in compost or in use.  Mine don't decompose and I have stopped trying to compost them as I'm fed up of seeing tea bags all over the plot / front garden  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrsbean

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 23:30 »
I have  small raised beds either side of my shed, chuck the tea bags in after our brew.Then when i have a build up spend a bit of time ripping them up and mixing them in. Not for everyone the fiddle, but like you say they dont rot down.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:53 »
Coffee Grounds from your local coffee shop are great for the compost bin and to use as fertiliser plus snails and slugs hate them

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 22:19 »
......... I'm fed up of seeing tea bags all over the plot / front garden  :ohmy:

My pet hate is the shredded plastic windows from envelopes. I keep thinking they're shards of glass and get nervous.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 11:17 »
Hi  I use yorkshire tea and they rot down well, and make a grand cuppa gromit!cheers,

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26 »
Hi  I use yorkshire tea and they rot down well, and make a grand cuppa gromit!cheers,

Is 'gromit' a local name for tea, I've never heard it before. Would that be where Gromit (as in 'Wallace and...') got his name?

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 19:53 »
Finding a huge teabag on the garden today, I was wondering if I should knock it on the head, tear it apart and chuck it, but then considered the consequences, well, you have a small bag of little more than soggy compost, it holds water, and should retain the moisture under the surface, so why not just bury the thing and let it act as a tiny reservoir?

They're all over our garden, and just get raked over when the time comes!

xx
Compost bin

Started by angelwings on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 20:38
by angelwings
xx
What to add to compost?

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2014, 10:17
by sunshineband
xx
Compost Bin

Started by La Jardinère on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 16:59
by noshed
xx
Dog poo compost

Started by jimroden on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 11:10
by weeeed

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 38 queries.