celeriac

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

celeriac
« on: November 06, 2023, 17:07 »
once again we tried growing celeriac on the allotments this year but they turned out like golf balls a complete waist of time and effort so going back to the drawing board can anyone give me some sound advise how to grow celeriac

as I'm not one to give up I'm determined to have another go next year  I must be doing something wrong because  celeriac should be like a small football instead of a golf ball  if I get this write I mite be able to call myself a real gardener maybe  :D

Anton

Re: celeriac
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 17:41 »
I had the same problem until the one year we all pitched in to buy a lorry load of compost from a nearby recycling centre. Celeriac was fabulous for the first time. In fact everything was fabulous that year. I have been in a new garden for two seasons now and think I will get the recycling centre to deliver a big bag for next season.

Anton

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 21:12 »
Start seeds first week of march, give plenty of space 35cm to 45cm between each, feed and water loads.

Mine are a bit variable in size this year, they were in a new bit of the bed though that was a path, so I think lacking a bit in soil  health

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 09:48 »
Start seeds first week of march, give plenty of space 35cm to 45cm between each, feed and water loads.

This is my first year growing Celeriac and am really pleased with the result. I started early in modules in a heated propagator and planted out after last frost. I watered lots and never let them dry out. They are a good size and taste delicious. I have grown Asterix F1. I dont know whether variety affects success?

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 11:34 »
thanks all for your replies that's given me food for thought for having another go next year RW

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 11:51 »
Yep, start early and lots of water

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 12:15 »
My way (I know song about that)!
I dig a trench around end of Sept where they are to be sown, around a foot deep. Fill with your veg cuutings/ peelings that would normally go in the compost bin, add a little manure as you go along, once around 3/4 full back fill with compost/ soil.
End of Feb spread some Fish/ blood/ bone along the trench ready for transplanting.
Start seeds early March and grow on until you can transplant. Water in dry spells.

This is average size of mine......
20231113_121121.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Ali T

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 16:28 »
I started mine off early, single seeds (Prinz) in modules on the windowsill, then out to the unheated greenhouse to grow on a bit, planted out onto the plot when around 8 inches high into a sunny bed on heavy clay, planted through weed control to keep the soil warm but moisture in. Fed every two weeks, initially with home made nettle tea, then switched to comfrey tea. Watered when the soil under the weed control seemed dry (Only twice last year) and pulled away the leaves gently when they dropped to lying horizontal. The results have been fantastic, I have started to harvest and they taste excellent, good size too average 5-6 inches across at the moment, but I'm leaving them in to see how big they grow, if they keep well in the ground, and if they start to taste 'woody' at any point. Hope this helps.

xx
celeriac

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 19:17
by DD.
xx
Celeriac

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 13:19
by Agatha
xx
celeriac

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 12:35
by sunshineband
xx
Is my celeriac OK?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 21:26
by HilaryG

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 46 queries.