growing celeriac

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

growing celeriac
« on: April 23, 2023, 14:51 »
I decided to grow celeriac this year. I sowed the seeds and put them in a warm propagator. They have germinated but gosh the seedlings are tiny!!! Hard to believe that I am going to get a big knobbly veg from them. Do most people grow them from seed or is there a way of propagating them? I cant imagine commercial growers coping with tiny seedlings. A single slug would decimate their crop in minutes. A mystery.

Nobbie

Re: growing celeriac
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 18:09 »
They take a while to get to a robust size, hence the advice to sow in Feb/March so they have plenty of time,  but once a few inches tall they grow strongly if given plenty of water. I expect commercially grown ones are raised in modules and only planted out when a decent size.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 14:31 »
Yeah I sowed mine over a month ago and they are 1cm high.  They like a lot of moisture and feeding through the season otherwise you end up with golfball sized celeriac

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 16:15 »
I sow mine in February, directly into cell trays so i don't have to handle them to prick out. When they need thinning I snip off the spare ones with nail scissors (my glasses on!) so the roots don't get disturbed.
They don't get big enough to eat before the first frost if I plant them outside here but in the tunnel, in rich soil they do very well. They need regular watering, don't let them dry out & as I said, they hate root disturbance so cell tray & then slip them carefully into their final position so they don't notice the move!  :)   

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 10:57 »
My celeriac have grown and are in pots and are getting ready to plant out. Reading about them it says that the night time temperature should not go below 10C or they are liable to bolt. The forecast has nights staying cooler than this. Is the risk of bolting real? Should I leave them in their pots until nights are warmer or should I get on an plant them out?

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 12:11 »
No, that's not right. Some frosts may make them bolt, so they should be fine to put in now anywhere in the uk. I need to put mine in this week too!

xx
Growing celeriac

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 20:18
by Yorkie
xx
Growing Celeriac

Started by val3147 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:03
by gobs
xx
Celeriac - growing conditions

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:23
by compostqueen
xx
celeriac

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2023, 16:28
by Ali T

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 45 queries.