Frozen Combs?

• 29 Replies

whistler

• Experienced Member
Frozen Combs?
« on: November 16, 2007, 20:07 »
It was really, really cold here last night,  when I let the girls out this morning about 7 o'clock they were reluctant to stay in the run to eat their breakast., they just went back into their house and only came out as I was leaving for work just after 9!

Later today I noticed that their combs had brown tinges round the edges, is this frostbite?  Is there anything I can do for them?

Sorry to have to ask, I know I've seen a post on this somewhere, just can't find it!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 20:37 »
i think a coating of vaseline will help. i could be wrong and im sure someone who knows for certain will be along shortly

muntjac

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 20:37 »
yups  :wink:
still alive /............

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 20:38 »
wey hey,   8)  im getting good at this chicken lark

alan42

• Experienced Member
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 20:41 »
if you go to your local pet shop there is now a little wooly hat you can get for your chickens it has little courds you tie under there beaks to stop them falling of i think there going to bring out little boots and socks to and theres the new chick pampers also for when them little darling chicks have an accident.
i wounder how them millions of birds who live in the bleak wilderness actualy survive ( vision of bill ody chasing them with wooly hats in his hands)
seriously what you need to do is put a perch in front of the fire and invite them all in for a warm a cup of tea and if they fancy it a chat.

muntjac

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 20:44 »
Quote from: "alan42"
if you go to your local pet shop there is now a little wooly hat you can get for your chickens it has little courds you tie under there beaks to stop them falling of i think there going to bring out little boots and socks to and theres the new chick pampers also for when them little darling chicks have an accident.
i wounder how them millions of birds who live in the bleak wilderness actualy survive ( vision of bill ody chasing them with wooly hats in his hands)
seriously what you need to do is put a perch in front of the fire and invite them all in for a warm a cup of tea and if they fancy it a chat.

be nice alan .the ladies love there chickens like us fellas love machines :wink:

alan42

• Experienced Member
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 20:47 »
jeeeez matey only joking around take chill pill

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 20:51 »

cor, youve described my chooks and how they live perfectly,  :lol:  :lol: have you been peeping through my windows alan.

WG.

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 20:55 »
jeeeez matey only joking
A few emoticons would have conveyed that nicely.  :)  :D  :lol:  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 21:09 »
Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today Alan  :?:  :wink:

Selkie

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 21:13 »
:wink: think munty rubbed him up the wrong way :D

muntjac

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 21:14 »
i replied with the same humour that the post showed .... i winked ............ :wink: and i could see that you meant it in humour ,,,,,,,, even without the smileys etc ........... :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 21:15 »
No Rose,  Alan can come across a bit grumpy but he knows a lot about chooks - Don't you Alan  :D  Hav'nt see you about recently, Welcome back  :D  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Frozen Combs?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 21:50 »
But you're quite right I found a really nice hat for my girls to wear on their combs in the winter  :lol:

Selkie

Frozen Combs?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 21:55 »
my hens have 'built in' hats  :D
[/IMG]

not so visible there as that was when they were still moulting but you get the idea

xx
Combs

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 18:20
by frickinradical
xx
combs

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 11:39
by Bodger
xx
floppy combs

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 20:43
by bantam novice
xx
Chickens Combs

Started by p4ul4r on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 16:18
by p4ul4r

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.