Ants in soil/raised beds

• 8 Replies

logi06

Ants in soil/raised beds
« on: May 14, 2021, 12:04 »
Hi
Can anyone tell me how I can remove a possible ants nest without destroying seeds planted in my raised bed
Thank you
JM

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: Ants in soil/raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 17:16 »
you can buy nematodes that ants wont tolerate.
Ant nematodes. The parasitic nematode, Steinernema feltiae, can be used as a non-chemical control for black, red and yellow ants. Safe to children, pets and wildlife.

The ants do not tolerate the nematodes (Steinernema feltiae) near their nests and move their nests away from these areas.
i use gardening naturally for these. hope its ok to mention
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:44 »
we sometimes get a nest in the corner of raised bed [6 inch deck board] saturating the nest seems to work  possibly followed by a dusting with ant powder if planting permits   good luck
from bow like to grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:47 »
An old recipe is, mix 2 teaspoons of Borax to 10 teaspoons of sugar, add a little water to make a nice and gluey consistency, put it in a few shallow plastic lids near the nest on a dry day - or rig up some kind of lid that still leaves access for the ants. The forage ants will 'eat' it and take it back to the nest for the others.
It can take a few days to work, though...

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:59 »
May I ask, are the ants damaging in any way to seedlings/ crops or is it ever ok to just ignore them? I cleared a patch of church grass only to find 2 great big ants nests under the black plastic cover.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 10:28 »
Roots can't grow where the ant nests are, so seedlings will die if the roots can't grow downwards, and you end up with bare patches in the beds.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 18:03 »
Thanks mumofstig that makes sense. I’ll give the critters a wide berth.

Abunndance

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 12:32 »
I've always just let them get on with it.  My plants have never suffered ill effects from them, that I am aware of.  There are lots of spiders about that are having a feast of them. 

Gasman4242

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 14:17 »
May I ask, are the ants damaging in any way to seedlings/ crops or is it ever ok to just ignore them? I cleared a patch of church grass only to find 2 great big ants nests under the black plastic cover.

ill give you my experience after living with ants in a paved greenhouse in the first couple of years of growing.

ants will farm aphids for their honeydew, i have watched ants carry knocked off/soap sprayed greenfly back up plants from the ground. so they wont directly kill off plants but they can be a nuisance above ground as well as below. from what i remeber reading years ago they will move aphids from plant to plant too.

i don't like to kill things i dont have to so i tend to live with them but keep a watchfull eye for greenfly and such. i got them out of the greenhouse because i had to by flooding the place with water. they are stubborn little things though.

ants hate things like white vinegar solution, have used this when the little * got into the house as they will do eventually if theres ants nests nearby.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 14:27 by Gasman4242 »

xx
Soil in raised beds

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 17:39
by gwltabb
xx
Top soil for raised veg beds

Started by Pavlodge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 17:37
by Jamrock
xx
Top Soil for raised beds

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 20:40
by Jay Dubya
xx
top soil for raised beds

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 23:01
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 50 queries.