Ex-battery hen questions

• 8 Replies

Laine21

Ex-battery hen questions
« on: January 18, 2011, 00:24 »
We are hoping to adopt some ex-battery hens in the near future. Just wondering, after looking at a lot of pictures that the ex-batt ladies look quite small, are they? or is it a bit of an illusion with the lack of feathering?

Also after a decent settling in period, would it be ok to introduce them to our other chooks?(pekin bantams)
Laraine

hillfooter

Re: Ex-battery hen questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 00:56 »
Hybrid layers aren't large hens and they are usually much smaller and leaner than pure breeds.

Personally I wouldn't mix pure breeds and exbats though I'm sure there will be a lot on soon who will have done this with no problems who will disagree.

Batts are vaccinated against lots of infections which your pure breeds won't have been.  If live vaccine has been used (which is cheaper and quick acting), and you won't know and no one will be able to tell you, they could be carriers of diseases to which they are immune.  That's a big risk to take with your pure breeds.  The chances may be low but the consequences could be dire so why risk it.  Also your pure breeds could be a risk to the batts if they were shed kept.  This is a case where your head must rule your heart.

Despite the risk if you decide to get some exbatts get free rangers ONLY and at least they won't be entirely alien to your bantams.  I've asked people who do this ex batt rehoming and the ones I've asked have been completely ignorant of these issues which I find worrying in the extreme.  You should ask the charity who you are thinking of using what vaccines these birds have had and if they are all non live vaccines and therefore safe and if they can't tell you don't take the risk.

If you do get them check each bird carefully for any signs of illness, runny noses, sneezing, dirty rear ends, depression and particularly rattlely breathing.  If any show signs reject the lot.  If they are free rangers worm them and check all of them for parasites, lice and feather mites.  Quarentine them for at least three weeks just to be sure they aren't about to develop anything nasty but even so it won't show up if they are infection carriers for diseases they are immune to.
HF
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:01 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 17:05 »
I, after much much planning, was going for 2 ex-batts and 2 vaccinated pure breeds.  Hillfooter, would you still advise this as very risky? 

My previous ex-batts may have had Marek's (last one died New Year's day).  I don't want to stock up with all ex-batts in case they all die again, but I don't want to give up on them totally.

(Sorry Laine21, I'm chipping in on your thread again!)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 17:29 »
I, after much much planning, was going for 2 ex-batts and 2 vaccinated pure breeds.  Hillfooter, would you still advise this as very risky?  

My previous ex-batts may have had Marek's (last one died New Year's day).  I don't want to stock up with all ex-batts in case they all die again, but I don't want to give up on them totally.

Hi Susie I saw your post and commented on it.  I think you're struggling really and disaster has already struck to some extent.  If you proceed you are going to trust to luck really Mareks is a difficult disease to shake off ask Grumpydad.  The Mareks issue is the major issue with your predicament not whether they will cross infect each other which there's some small risk in.  

Lets be clear the advice I gave Laine is really how to be as safe and cautious as possible and what risks can be avoided by asking the right questions.  It's more about what could happen mixing unvaccinated pure breeds with exbatts.   Though it might be unlikely the consequences of it happening is heartbreaking. So it's a bit like playing russian roulette with very low odds that you shoot your self but the consequences are still high.  

In your case the major threat is that both or either set of birds will contract the Mareks which will still be present on your land.  The additional risk of cross infection is I would think much smaller and of smaller consequence compared with Mareks though still present.  Without the Mareks my advice above would apply with the Mareks the risk is that you can't eliminate the infection from your land.  If I were you I'd leave it a while (I'm guessing but 6 months doesn't seem too long) before restocking and then stock with either ex batts or pure breeds, but certainly vaccinate.  If you really do want both start with the exbatts and see how they go then get the pure breeds.  If the Mareks is still rampant might as well lose the cheap birds.

HF
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 17:33 by hillfooter »

Laine21

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 17:42 »
I, after much much planning, was going for 2 ex-batts and 2 vaccinated pure breeds.  Hillfooter, would you still advise this as very risky? 

My previous ex-batts may have had Marek's (last one died New Year's day).  I don't want to stock up with all ex-batts in case they all die again, but I don't want to give up on them totally.

No worries Susie, chip in all you like  ;) :)

When we discovered ours had Mareks, the vet warned the ones we had hatched would get it as well, one died but the other 2 seem to have recovered.
We were also told that wild birds could spread Mareks and that once you have had Mareks on your land it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of it, the only way for us to have any other hens would be to either get ex-batts or get young hens that had been vaccinated.

We are quite lucky in having a large long garden, so have decided to adopt 4 ex-batts who will live about 100ft away from the others, that way they can have a much longer quarrantine and recovery period from their own particular ordeal.
so it will be fingers and toes crossed
Laraine

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 17:56 »
Thanks Hillfooter, I have read all your advice avidly and I am very greatful.  (I think you are also helping me with comments on cats and electric fencing).
Your answer is very helpful (and clear) -  cross infection is a small risk compared to any risk from Marek's. 

I think the 6 months break for the land (and my mental health) might be a good idea.  Also I had one chuck gotten by a fox in the middle of the day, more time for him to forget how tasty chicken is.

Your suggestion to get 2 ex-batts first to see how they fare is a good idea.  I have been reading posts about trying to mix different ages of birds at a later date, so I was thinking it would be better to restock all at once.  Here again, I think your answer would be the same - I have bigger problems to worry about with the Marek's than whether new additions will mix.

Sometimes I think I overthink (if you see what I mean) so I am so very greatful for experienced advice.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 18:03 »
Laraine
Thanks, your comment has helped with my 4th consideration.  It will be worth investing in a 2nd coop and run, so a decent quarrantine period is not a problem. 

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 18:05 »

No worries Susie, chip in all you like  ;) :)

When we discovered ours had Mareks, the vet warned the ones we had hatched would get it as well, one died but the other 2 seem to have recovered.
We were also told that wild birds could spread Mareks and that once you have had Mareks on your land it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of it, the only way for us to have any other hens would be to either get ex-batts or get young hens that had been vaccinated.

We are quite lucky in having a large long garden, so have decided to adopt 4 ex-batts who will live about 100ft away from the others, that way they can have a much longer quarrantine and recovery period from their own particular ordeal.
so it will be fingers and toes crossed
Laraine

Didn't realise both you ladies had had Mareks.  Well I think you have got the picture Susie.  Worry about the Mareks first and if all goes well worry about mixing them.  Introducing new chx isn't as big a problem as you might think if you go about it right and understand their behaviour and react accordingly.
Besy of luck to you both
HF

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 18:13 »
Thanks HF - wouldn't be able to do it without yours and this sites help.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
car battery

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:46
by poultrygeist
xx
Battery Hens

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 22:31
by Foxy
xx
Battery Hens

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 16:26
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.