Question regarding Adding to the Flock

• 2 Replies

wildfowler4

Question regarding Adding to the Flock
« on: December 01, 2010, 20:00 »
Hi All,

I currently have three Crested legbar Hens which are now nearly nine weeks old and are doing very well. I am thinking of adding another two hens to the flock. I don't plan to have any more than five in total so was thinking about which two to add. The children are keen on Rhode Island reds or similar coloured birds. Also I was thinking of getting them of a similar age and extending the coop I currently have.

My question would be would it be easy to introduce new birds to my flock and would they take to each other or are they quite territorial and would this cause issues?

Thanks in advance

orchardlady

Re: Question regarding Adding to the Flock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 21:03 »
It's certainly good to chose birds of roughly the same size and age if you are going to add to your flock but it's best to do introductions slowly. Once you get your new girls home put them in a separate run and coop to your original birds but ensure that both groups can see each other. Keeping them separate (for a couple of weeks) is a good idea just incase your new girls have any infections, parasites or diseases that could be possibly be passed to your original birds. if you do not have a spare coop and run buy one. I know that sounds blunt but you will be able to justify it as you will at some time in the future need to separate one hen from the others be it due to illness, broodiness or accident.

If you are going to enlarge your current coop and run allow much more space than you think is acceptable. The more space you can spare the better, do not stint. Chickens get bored and frustrated and I'm quite convinced this can lead to behaviour problems like bulling, feather pecking and egg eating.

When you are ready to have the two groups together choose a dark night and put the new girls into the sleeping quarters calmly and quietly. Watch carefully the next day for squabbling and try not to intervene too quickly. If you do find one hen is being picked on try to make their environment as interesting as possible. Provide hiding places, jumping up places, interesting food and treats and try to feed everyone together but ensure there are several eating/drinking stations to so any picked on hens can find food and water. It can be quite a stressful time for both you and the birds but of course is perfectly doable. Best of luck.

OL

wildfowler4

Re: Question regarding Adding to the Flock
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 22:34 »
many thanks

xx
Adding to my flock

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 12:14
by Shazzer
xx
Adding new birds to flock

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 19:16
by wildfowler4
xx
A bit of advice about adding to my flock!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 13:50
by chickenlady
xx
Hatching Eggs & adding to Flock

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 14:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.