Hello! Viewing a potential plot this evening, advice?

• 4 Replies

HayleyB

I live in Daventry, and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing hahahaha .... But I'm so excited and can't wait to grow something and eat it :-)

I've been on the waiting list for an allotment for 6 months and was contacted today to say there are plots available. Woohoo!
What am I looking for? Or looking to avoid? Any general advice greatly appreciated.

Also, any books you might recommend for total, total beginners, nothing will be too basic!

Thanks xxx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello! Viewing a potential plot this evening, advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:12 »
Welcome to the forum  :)
Things to look out for, can you get a car near the plot? Compost and manure are heavy if you have to carry/wheelbarrow them a long distance  :(
How near to any water tap? If you can avoid it, you don't want to carry heavy watering cans a long way.

Is it full of marestail? Choose another plot if you can. Most weeds can be dug out, so don't be afraid of a weedy plot, but it's a losing battle with marestail :( It looks like this

Also avoid a plot at the bottom of a slope, if you can, it will tend to be very wet in winter with water running down the slope.

I hope I haven't put you off, but it helps if you have a list of things - just in case there empty plots to choose from.

Of course if there is only one...... any plot is better than no plot  :lol:

The site owner's book comes with seeds, it's a good basic book with pages showing sowing and harvesting charts, which are helpful with planning the plot.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/essential-allotment-guide/

The other one I recommend is Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom

Good luck with the new plot!

HayleyB

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24 »
Excellent, thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye out for that weed - but like you said, if there's only one available I won't say no :-)
I know there's a car park but that's about all I know, fingers crossed it will all go smoothly this evening.

HegiesGarden

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00 »
Mares Tails  :mad:
It is the prevailing weed on my allotments - however - my other half being an ergronomist (think thats how you spell it) is trialing a 'special' mix to try and do away with it - at the moment its looking pretty promising with quite a quick die back - time will tell if it will clear it completely tho.  Its the roots that the problem, you only need a tiny bit left in the soil and it will spring up again.
Good luck with your new allotment - I only got mine this year and its brilliant

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:19 »
Get one next to someone who,keeps a tidy plot, if you can.  Surrounding weedy plots where the tenants turn up,once in a blue moon are a nightmare!  Also if they seem to grow good crops, they can be helpful in giving you tips, if you're a novice.

I agree with car parking and taps, essential.  Perhaps,they have a plot with a shed already on it, a money saver.  Any fruit bushes or trees on the plot would be a bonus too, even if hidden by weeds. 

Have a good walk around on the plot - one end of mine was originally the dumping ground for all the rubbish on the site and so it was a nightmare to clean up.

Happy gardening!

xx
Good Evening

Started by JamesVinJoyce on Welcome to the Forums

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2021, 20:18
by Yorkie
xx
newbie looking for advice...

Started by rebelwithout72 on Welcome to the Forums

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2020, 14:43
by mumofstig
clip
New member and some advice on underground storage...

Started by DFCskip on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 10:03
by Timothy Pickering
xx
Got a Plot

Started by Batesy on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 11:29
by Batesy

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 41 queries.