more tomato woes

• 5 Replies

hiccup

• Experienced Member
more tomato woes
« on: August 26, 2015, 19:45 »
Evening All

I dont know what's happened to these tomatoes, though to be honest they have
                 been this way for some time now, weeks actually. The crop has been very poor
                 and i'am guessing the shrivelled state of them is related.
               This is my first year with a greenhouse and would very much like to improve next
                 year so any advice would be warmly received. cheers

july, august 2015 094.jpg
keep on digging

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: more tomato woes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17 »
Have you had periods of hot days v cold nights over this period Hiccup?  It looks like the sort of damage that big temperature variations can cause. 

It looks like you have some decent fruits there, but if there have not been very many, it could be any of the following :

Lack of pollination - tap the flowers to distribute the pollen or put some flowers in the greenhouse to attract insects in.  French marigolds work well and also help to deter whitefly
Lack of vigour - are you feeding the the plants?
Fruits aborting - this can be due to the temperatures again or possibly lack of water - are you consistently watering?

It has been a funny old season weatherwise and a lot of people haven't done that well, so the fact that it is your first year growing in a greenhouse may not be a factor  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36 »
Is it just the way the pic has come out, or is the nearest branch grey/brown?

That looks like it could be Botrytis (grey mould). If so remove any leaves with brown/grey patches and any stems that are badly effected.
If it's just a patch on the stem and you need to save it, because of fruit higher up, then dab the patch with lemon juice and wrap the stem with sellotape. This may give the plant long enough to ripen the fruit.

As NS says don't worry too much about the curly leaves, some of mine have them. Just hope for some warm weather to ripen the fruit.

Debz

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:28 »
Hiccup, yours are better than mine and I'm in Glasgow so not too far away from you.  It's been a dreadful summer in Scotland but at least you have some red fruit.  Mine still don't even look like they are turning yet.  You have probably done everything you could in your power but there is nothing you can do about the weather.  Enjoy the fruits you have  and start thinking about what varieties you want to plant for next year.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 16:03 »
As well as taking off the dead leaves, I would suggest taking off the flowers. Any fruit that set now isn't going to get much bigger than pea sized and it will help those which are set to ripen.

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 18:16 »
          Evening All

Thanks for all of your replies. New shoots, there were some big tempreture variations
                  earlier on in the season, that may have been when it all started actually. As for watering
                  and feeding that has been pretty constant. The greenhouse has a louvre window at the back
                  and i'vehad the door open all summer such as it's been, so I think it's airy enough, but
                  I've taken on board all your advice and hopefully better luck next year.
                                                                                                                         cheers all'

xx
Tomato woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 06:56
by New shoot
xx
More tomato woes

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 17:38
by AlaninCarlisle
clip
Cucumber seedlings woes

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 18:28
by jaydig3
xx
Sweet pepper woes

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 15:03
by JayG

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.