Tomato woes

• 14 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tomato woes
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:53 »
This has been the worst year ever for me in the greenhouse and polytunnel for tomatoes.

Poor fruit-setting was the start of it followed by mildewed leaves and rotting fruit. Having cleared out all the rotting plants, I'm down to just ten out of an original twenty-four and expect to have to ripen the fruit off those indoors in a drawer

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato woes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31 »
Bad luck  :(

I've binned 2 plants so far, but need some warm weather to ripen all the green fruit on the others - and that's not looking likely from the forecasts.

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 11:27 »
My plants are healthy, there is plenty of fruit, but they will not turn red.  I can already smell the aroma of boiling vinegar as Christine makes lots and lots of chutney.

Malcolm

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:49 »
Same as Oakridge, healthy plants (once I got rid of the leaves with sooty mould because of all the aphids) but, very slow ripening - 2.5kg per week from 48 plants - compares with 11kg per week last year.

Debz

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31 »
I haven't had a ripe one yet this year.  It's the worst year I can remember for tomatoes and I don't like chutney so don't know what I'll so with green fruits.......

oakridge

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 13:15 »
I did find this page:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/vegetables/tomatoes/green-tomatoes/

but it is American with everything measured in cups.

Malcolm

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 13:20 »
They are nice just fried or in a ratouille type stir fry.
Anne

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 15:58 »
I'm hoping we just have to wait.

In 2011 I was still picking beefsteak fruit in my unheated greenhouse in mid-November despite there being frosts outside.

(Ever the optimist)

davetoddy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 22:27 »
Im just down the coast Alan and everyone is saying the same , one chap says worst tomatoes in 26 years of having a greenhouse . There is always next year  ::)

Eblana

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 22:48 »
The same here.  I am hoping that the 15 to 18 degree daytime temperatures that are forecast for this week will be enough to get things moving.  I have stripped all the bottom leaves, stopped all the plants above the last trusses with fruit and placed banana skins in the PT in the hopes that the bumper crop of green tomatoes that I have will ripen.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 06:50 »
We put any stubborn green toms in a closed drawer, and chuck in one or two ripe ones with them.

They soon get the idea, and will ripen as normal, but the fresh tang isn't as good!

(They'll eventually turn, even if there are no red ones to start them off)!

oldgrunge

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 22:20 »
My greenhouse tomatoes are ripening rapidly now, but rot is rapidly gaining on them, a very poor year in the greenhouse, but the weather has been poor. My basil refused to grow there this year, having to grow it in the house.
Perversely, the outdoor tomatoes are thriving, they are the healthiest, most productive outdoor tomatoes I've ever grown.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Eblana

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 17:29 »
I am just back from the plot and I am delighted to say that there is definitely a ripening hue off a lot of the toms.  Forecast good for next three days so I will probably be complaining about a glut by the weeken :D

jrko

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 19:55 »
I had my best ever year

I followed james wong's tip to cut the plant off after 2 trusses.  Every flower set and filled out to a good size. This aids airflow so mildew and rot is nonexistent.

I also have 315 cubic feet per min air movement in the Greenhouse of Doom via solar panels.

I'll be doing exactly the same next year  :D
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 06:56 »
There seem to be some very mixed fortunes this year with tomatoes. 

I've been lucky, but the plot ones (Latah) were looking very sad at the weekend, so I picked all the remaining fruit and it is ripening on the windowsill.  The plants looked cold, rather than blighted, so I assume one of the recent chilly nights caught them.

The greenhouse ones are fine, although there is still quite a lot of green fruit.  I had a major prune back of excess foliage yesterday and picked anything that had some colour on it.  The beefsteak ones I am growing ripen perfectly well indoors, so I want the plants to concentrate on the greener fruit. 

I think most of the green fruit is big enough to ripen off inside, but we are forecast a few more warmer days, so I'm hanging on for a little while longer  :)

clip
more tomato woes

Started by hiccup on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2015, 18:16
by hiccup
xx
More tomato woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 17:38
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Sweet pepper woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 15:03
by JayG
clip
Cucumber seedlings woes

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 18:28
by jaydig3

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.