tomatoes

• 14 Replies

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
tomatoes
« on: March 15, 2007, 18:10 »
ive sown from seed some tomatoes and theve germinated on my windowsill at home they are about an inch high with two small green leaves on i`m not to sure what to do next wait till they get bigger and pot them on or what?? can anyone point me in the right direction
many thanks.
please let me have the good life
cant cope with this one

leeky

tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 18:12 »
i'm in the same boat as you Bridgeford... i'll be watching this thread from the wings  :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 18:19 »
pot em up and get them into a light cooler place until they get around three inches high or so then transplant into final pot/growbag if indoors or leave in pots until the weather gets warmer if outdoor types.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

RoynLisa

tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 18:53 »
Most years I get long straggling leggy seedlings and they don't look quite right -does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

WG.

tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 18:56 »
I'm not an expert but I saw earlier threads suggesting you back with tinfoil to give them even light

Lily

tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 19:03 »
My tom seedlings are nearly 2 inches high with quite a few leaves. These are cherry tom, should I plant them individually?
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 19:04 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I'm not an expert but I saw earlier threads suggesting you back with tinfoil to give them even light

And this was the post I made.........

Quote from: "Digger Dave"

Whitelady is right - start them inside on a window sill. I put mine in a seed tray, (24 seeds to a half size tray), cover with glass or polythene, then cover that with newspaper to keep out the light.

As soon as the first one shows, take off the covering, tuck a bit of cooking foil part way under the seed tray, on one long side, then bring up the back & sides vertically, leaving one long side exposed. (If this makes sense). The foil should be 3" to 4" longer than the seed tray on each side. What you should end up with is a vertical piece of foil behind the tray and for a certain length on each side.

This will increase the amount of light the plant gets & stop it becoming 'drawn'. Keep in the window sill, obviously with the exposed side of the seed tray facing the window.

After the second set of leaves is well formed, pot up into 3" pots, keep in window sill until it's consistantly reasonably warm at night, (unless the greenhouse is heated), not forgetting to come up with some cunning plan to keep the foil in position. I grow mine in a small upstairs window and 'blue tac' the foil across the ledge.

Hope this helps and is not too confusuing. The foil bit is easy to do, not so easy to write down!!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
tomatoes
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 19:17 »
thanks all and dave i`ll keep you posted on my first toms progress

muntjac

tomatoes
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 19:25 »
prick em out as soon as ya have 2 main leaves into 3 inch pots n set em on the window or heated greenhouse if ya rotate the pots every morning til ur planting em out in ya greenhouse or garden they will be fine use the foiol trick if ya short of light  :wink:
still alive /............

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
tomatoes
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 13:12 »
If it helps (and I'm probably doing this wrong!) I germinated them in a 40-cell propogator (unheated) on a sunny windowsill.

Like everyone says, at about an inch and with a coupla leaves, I pricked 'em out into individual 3" pots and put these in a slightly ventilated greenhouse, where they are coming along nicely and up to abt 3" each.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what to do now, with the weather warning we're getting!  :?
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Trillium

tomatoes
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 13:34 »
Now you need to grow some patience, Smudgeboy  :wink:  From other threads I understand some bad weather is headed for the UK this weekend. Toms really do need warm weather, but with no cold threats looming ahead. Either keep them warm inside or in a heated greenhouse for a while yet. Can't see them going out in the UK for another month.

And to clarify when to transplant toms for others, you must wait until there's a total of 4 or more leaves before you do that job. The first 2 leaves are simply primaries with smooth edges. The next 2 ridged ones are the true leaves, by which it's safe to hold the plant by to move into a larger pot. The plant won't necessarily die with only the first 2, but the 2nd 2 will have good root growth for a better push onward.  :D

Anton

tomatoes
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 13:54 »
Last year I put my seeds in compost-type posts that are biodegradable, and can be planted straight into the soil, and then put them in the attic (in fact I did this with my courgettes as well) but they grew very emaciated looking. I ended up buying some ready made from the local market (five minutes down the road). With the allotment garden I had in a previous incarnation (about 20 years ago), I put the seeds in the compost pots and did not have any problems. Do you think putting them in the attic was the mistake? While I'm here, where can I store my parnsips when I lift them?
Thank you in advance.

Anton

Muppet

tomatoes
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 14:03 »
I always pot my toms on right up to the first pair of true leaves, cos the little hairs on the stem will make new roots=more nutrition for the plant. Each time I pot on, I shove them deeper...

Also stops the little varmints from getting leggy too... :evil:  :lol:

WG.

tomatoes
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 14:12 »
Quote from: "Anton"
While I'm here, where can I store my parnsips when I lift them?

They are going to want to grow whatever you do with them now.  Try a few in the fridge if you like but I'd suggest you boil and puree them, then freeze to make soups.

Trillium

tomatoes
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 14:24 »
Your attic may be warm (?) for the toms, Anton, but unless there are lots of windows for light, you'll keep having problems. Once toms sprout, they're desperate for all the light they can get so I'd put them in sunnier windows or warm greenhouse. Keep in mind toms are originally from Mexico where it's extremely bright.
As mentioned earlier, leggy toms benefit from repotting deeper or mounding up at the stems.

clip
Odd looking Tomatoes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 12:37
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes

Started by dugless on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 19:42
by dugless
xx
tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 19:42
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 19:31
by Linnie

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 35 queries.