Heirloom Cherry Tomato Recommendations?

• 4 Replies

Auntiemogs

Heirloom Cherry Tomato Recommendations?
« on: September 18, 2019, 12:45 »
After posting about the best way to save tomato seed, I'm now wondering if there's an heirloom cherry tomato out there for me?

My favourite are Orange Paruche F1, as they are sweeter and larger than Sungold, have thinner skins and crop really well.  That been said, I've been finding it more difficult to get hold of the seeds, as many places now only sell the plants (not cheap!).  I even bought some from Fleabay this year and then discovered that they were saved seed (leading to a 'discussion' with the seller about whether they would 'come true').  Whilst I don't mind experimenting, I have very little growing space, so want to be sure of what I'm getting.

So, does anyone have any recommendations?  I would much rather grow something I can enjoy year after year without having to 'panic buy' particular seeds as/when they become available.

:)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Heirloom Cherry Tomato Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 13:24 »
Jaune Flamme is a good open-pollinated alternative to Orange Paruche, just slightly larger fruit, sorry haven't got any seed to share - forgot to save last year. Silly me!
Have got some saved Peacevine Cherry seeds, although they are cordons, they only grew about to 4ft for me, but trusses are close together up the stem. I'll post them - are you still at the same address?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 16:11 »
Jaune Flamme is a good open-pollinated alternative to Orange Paruche, just slightly larger fruit, sorry haven't got any seed to share - forgot to save last year. Silly me!
Have got some saved Peacevine Cherry seeds, although they are cordons, they only grew about to 4ft for me, but trusses are close together up the stem. I'll post them - are you still at the same address?
I would love to try the Peacevine if you have a few to spare Mum (and yes, still in the same place), thank you!  :)  Is there anything you'd like/need - I can have a furtle in my seed box?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 16:16 »
Could I have a few of your superdooper oxhearts then?  Can you remember who's door to put them through?  :D

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 16:56 »
Could I have a few of your superdooper oxhearts then?  Can you remember who's door to put them through?  :D
You can indeed!  I shall swish them around for a few days and then dry them out for however long it takes.  :)  I thought they were moving?

xx
Heirloom tomato (and other fruit/veg) seeds in the UK?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 12:02
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Buying heirloom tomato plants?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 21:48
by Pimento
xx
Cherry Tomato

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 10:31
by juvenal
xx
Tomato Recommendations

Started by Max4 on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post October 16, 2015, 16:06
by Middlesexbloke

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 37 queries.