Lining the bottom of raised beds to eradicate weeds - good idea or not?

• 8 Replies

Yana

I'm redesigning a half plot I got this year and have been able to get hold of decking boards. I will be building a couple of the raised beds three boards high (14cm each = 42cm high overall = about 16" in old money) and was going to line the bottom of the beds with weed suppressant membrane. The reason for this is that whilst I dug the plot at the beginning of the year and got as many of the weeds out as I could, the bindweed has popped up again and I don't want it to get comfy in the new beds. I've seen examples of raised beds that are not as high as those I'm planning and the weed membrane is laid on grass and then filled with soil.
My main concern is whether the root system of the veggies will be ok in 16" of soil. I'm not planning on growing root type veggies and asparagus is probably out of the question?   :)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Be careful what you line the beds with, a plot near mine ended up with raised pools last year  :)
Anne

Yana

Be careful what you line the beds with, a plot near mine ended up with raised pools last year  :)
I had seen one suggestion using black plastic with some drainage holes. I was more inclined to use the woven fabric or even mypex. Does this sound a better idea?

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
Ive had raised beds for a few years now and put down a breathable weed membrane initially.  It totally stopped the bindweed except for the edge of a raised bed nearest the path where the membrane stops.  I used scaffold boards, 8" high and have grown everything in them except spuds and parsnips which go in a non raised bed part of the plot. Even the carrots have been good.  I actually get better root crops in the raised beds as the soil on the main part of my plot is still not how I like it - although the 25 bags of manure I've got should help.

Level your area best you can, I used masonry string with a string level.  Laid weed membrane 5' x 36'.  Built beds from scaffold boards - £2.50 for an 8' length. Stained OUTSIDE of beds with fence paint.  Mulched around beds with free bark chippings.  Then I built some hinged cloches from reclaimed timbre. In the autumn I bring the soil to the centre to try and let the wood breathe.  Then in spring I treat them to some compost and manure.  Holding up well so far.  Have fun :-)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:49 by Wavertree Red »
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
I would have thought your crops would fair better with a deeper rootrun by not having a barrier below the raised beds (well, unless you are planning to raise them a couple of feet, but that would need a LOT of soil ! )

I would combat the weeds separately.

Only proviso would be if this is an allotment that you cannot visit regularly.  If its nearby and you can take the tops off the weeds once or twice a week ("Never let it see a Sunday") you won't have much problem, over time.

If you are not adversed to a one-time initial chemical attack with Roundup I would recommend that.  Now is a good time - but don't leave it any later into the year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:59 by Kristen »

snow white

Off subject - but loving the idea of hinged netting lids. ::)

compostqueen

I used cardboard, double thickness, free from the electric shop. I pulled up outside and they loaded it in for me. 

Bindweed will get around anything so be prepared for it and keep a beady eye for it so you can zap it or hoik it out as it re-appears, which I think it surely will no matter how good your defences.  You could save the sheet mulch for around the raised beds as it makes good paths

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Off subject - but loving the idea of hinged netting lids. ::)
A chum of mine has built some of those:

Yana

Ive had raised beds for a few years now and put down a breathable weed membrane initially.  It totally stopped the bindweed except for the edge of a raised bed nearest the path where the membrane stops.  I used scaffold boards, 8" high and have grown everything in them except spuds and parsnips which go in a non raised bed part of the plot. Even the carrots have been good.  I actually get better root crops in the raised beds as the soil on the main part of my plot is still not how I like it - although the 25 bags of manure I've got should help.

Level your area best you can, I used masonry string with a string level.  Laid weed membrane 5' x 36'.  Built beds from scaffold boards - £2.50 for an 8' length. Stained OUTSIDE of beds with fence paint.  Mulched around beds with free bark chippings.  Then I built some hinged cloches from reclaimed timbre. In the autumn I bring the soil to the centre to try and let the wood breathe.  Then in spring I treat them to some compost and manure.  Holding up well so far.  Have fun :-)

Thanks for this Wavertree Red. I am liking all your suggestions and you are right about the edges of the plot and bindweed. My first plot is almost bindweed free, just the occasional bit that creeps in from the main paths, but I am ever vigilant to get rid of it at first sight.
The plot I have taken on has had loads of organic material added to it over the years. So much so that the middle is about a foot higher than the sides so plenty of soil to fill the raised beds. I will be making sure that there are no tiny pieces of the dreaded white root in the soil when I fill the beds up.
I hadn't thought that the depth would be ok for carrots, but worth a try.
Thanks again.  :D

xx
More raised beds!

Started by EddieJ on Design and Construction

28 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 21:35
by EddieJ
xx
Raised beds

Started by muckyboots on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2014, 18:38
by LotuSeed
xx
Raised Beds

Started by A19_GRAHAM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 23:12
by hightide
xx
Raised Beds

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 14:23
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.