Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?

• 1 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:57 »
Hey all,

I had 2x light sussex and 1x RIR, all about a year old.

Recently i lost one of my sussex so i have been left with two hens. 

With the breed and age, they are likely to last another 3 or more years unless something happens.

I only have room for three (Eglu coop and smallish run restricts me as I have heavy breeds), and i want to introduce another hen, likely a point of lay blue bell.

Is this something i should be able to do if im careful, or is it likely to result in the new hen being picked more then i should allow?

Ive read its best to introduce two at once to a new flock, but i don’t have that option..

Cheers

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

helens-hens

Re: Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 13:41 »
Hi Lewjam. I am in a similar boat and would rather just take on 1 extra hen with the 2 that I have already. I think the general advise is to introduce 2 or more new hens at a time but there are threads on this forum from owners who have managed to add just 1.

Are you able to accommodate the new hen separately in a temporary run/house within sight of the others? This would a) allow you to quarantine the new addition and b) let the existing 2 start to get used to the new hen.

When they are all put together, have several feeding / watering stations and people also suggest somewhere where a new hen can hide and get a bit of refuge (I think somebody suggested a bucket on its side or similar).

My 2 are mean enough with the wild garden birds so although excited about a new addition, I am also worried about what will happen when I finally go ahead!

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Helen

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing New Hens

Started by BIRDLAND on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 20:45
by Daisycow
xx
Introducing Hens Q?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 22:00
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 32 queries.