How do I go about free-ranging my girls?

• 9 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
How do I go about free-ranging my girls?
« on: August 27, 2010, 15:09 »
Ive had my ladies for a week on Sunday, and as happy as they are in their run, I want them to have way more room. I have a large garden, totally enclosed with a 6ft fence, but I have an allotment area with a pond in it. This section is fenced off with 3ft high chicken wire, but I know they'll clear that if they really want to. Not bothered about the veges, only got toms, tatas, cucumbers and chillies growing at the mo, so if they destroy them, I dont mind, but the pond is a worry. Do chooks have the sense to stop away?
I also have a 9month old labrador bitch who would have to learn to love them. She harasses rabbit until she kicks her and she grooms the cat...but Im not sure how introduce them or if its a good idea at all? She just seems curious at the moment, Nelly chicken keeps pecking the dogs nose through the wire.
Do I let them free-range or section off a big part of the garden and keep the chooks and everything else seperate? Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: How do I go about free-ranging my girls?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 15:58 »
For the moment i would keep your pup away from your ladies,  they will still be too weak to fend of an over excited pup who might see them as a play toy giving half the chance.   I have a collie pup, and he always bounds over to the girls in the morning but i wouldnt let them mix.   Why dont you say let your ladies out for a couple of hrs in the morning or afternoon for a free range about and see how they go.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 15:59 »
Hi Carla
My girls live on my allotment, which is at the back of our house (how lucky am I  8)) They have a decent sized enclosed run and they are happy in that, when I am on the plot I do let them out, however they just follow me and wont wonder  :nowink: I always keep an eye on them as I know urban foxes are around and it will only take a few secs for them to make a mess as happend to my next doors ducks, which may I add has a large fence around and they scaled it no problem.
Hens I have found are not as daft as some think, the pond maybe an issue, but not the veges, again mine tend to scratch around them rather than eat them, perhaps they only eat upside down veg  ???
My advice is always keep an eye on them, them foxes are nasty and very sneaky and will at a blink of an eye have them.
My winter project is to extend their run, but I will be making it fox proof.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 16:08 »
Hi
I was thinking about you today and was wondering how you were getting along. I am new to hen keeping too, just over 2 weeks. I kept my girls in the run for 3 days and then in the afternoon I let them out for the first time. I was worried they would fly over the fence or not return to their coop but it all turned out problem free. When they came out they started sun bathing and it was amazing to see the difference in their behaviour once they had more space to roam, not as much pecking (Thank goodness). They return to their coop on their own at night and have the flower areas of the garden like the surface of the moon because of all their dust baths they have made. As for your dog, we have 2 Jack russells and we still dont let them get too close just in case, hopefully over time we might be able to trust them a little more.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 21:47 »
Unless you rule your Jack Russells with an iron fist do not let them near your hens. They are terriers...I have two Welsh Terriers (supposedly one of the more bid able terrier breeds) and they are b*gg*ers. If they can get past the five bar gate there is no hesitation, no 'Oh chickens which one shall I have' like a Lab would they are just straight in for the kill. It's in the terrier nature. Anything furry, flappy, squeaky.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:28 »
I let mine free range all day, but we don't see foxes round here, and we have a 6 foot fence all round anyway.

If you don't want your veggies destroyed, then I would fence that area off. Any temporary wire fencing will do, and it doesn't have to be very high. Tomato and potato leaves are poisonous, so although your hens might be sensible and not eat them, they might just.

I had to confine my hens to a run earlier in the year just to give the lawn a chance to recover (and I reseeded it) and when I let them out after 3 weeks, it was like Christmas! They ran around and if they could they would have been cheering!

I would try it gradually while you are around to keep an eye on them and see how it goes.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44 »
I let them out for a couple of days, but the dog just wouldnt leave them alone, not hurting them, just standing over them and trying to groom them, and they weren'y very impressed, so I've now fenced off a 7 metre x 4 metre area of the garden and they now live in there. Lovely to watch them scratching around, dust bathing and having a good old sun bathe in peace and quiet :) The garden now resembles The Good Life (wish I'd got Felicity Kendals bum, but alas lol) but who needs a pretty garden when you've got happy hens :)

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:32 »
My 2 west highland terriers are frightened of the chickens and wont go anywere near them. When i was holding one of the chickens my dogs came over to have a look the chicken pecked them both on the nose and it hurt them, they have stayed away since.
I would let the chickens free range for a couple of hours while you are there and see how it works out

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:19 »
If the pond slopes in they will be fine. If it has a ledge then they will fall in.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 13:52 »
who needs a pretty garden when you've got happy hens :)

I will use this on my DH when he next complains about the ankle-turning dust-bathing potholes in the lawn!

Wait to see if you get seduced by duck-keeping - then you will know the meaning of mud!

But we love them all!!

xx
Free ranging now- and the thanks we get?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 10:36
by Oliveview
xx
Free Ranging??

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2008, 20:28
by Lemon
xx
Help with free ranging

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 16:29
by nic_28
xx
free ranging

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 20:48
by rachelr

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 35 queries.