Introducing New Hens

• 2 Replies

BIRDLAND

Introducing New Hens
« on: March 11, 2008, 16:41 »
Hi, we have had 4 Black Rocks for over 5 years unfortunately 2 have died in the last year or so. They are free range

We plan to get 4 more. I'm a little worried about introducing the 4 new birds to the 2 survivors as information I've found on the web seems contradictory.

Any advice is welcome.

This is my current plan. We're thinking of having the newcomers in a 2nd house with a run so the girls can see them and get to know them without too much aggro.

Some people say you need to confine them for a month which seems a bit harsh as they will see the original 2 frolicking in the garden. Others say a week.  I look forward to informed opinion.
Thanks

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Introducing New Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 16:47 »
i tend to seperate during the day, then pop the new girls in the main coop for sleeping. seperate again in the morning into a seperate run

ive found that after a few days the new ones seem to wander out in the morning with the others, no problem.

but like you say, you will get different ways from everyone, and depends if you have a bit of a bully. only time can tell

Daisycow

Introducing New Hens
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 20:45 »
I am fairly new to chook keeping, but we introduced 2 new pekin bantams into our flock of 3 last week and were told to put them in the same coop at night (by the time we got home with them it was dark so they were put together straight away) and dust them all in talcum powder so they smell the same before putting them away. Then when you let them out in the morning they should all get along, there maybe a small amount of pecking, but that'll soon stop.
We let ours out the next day, the bossy hen was fine with them (after a couple of quick pecks), but the lowest hen of the original 3 was agressive towards them. However, she was swiftly told off and put back in her place by the top hen!! When I left for work all seemed fine with them, and when they were let out to roam the garden at lunchtime, you would never have thought it was their first day together! So it worked for us.
We were also told if that failed put them in the same coop but separate with wire until they behave peacefully. Not sure if anyone else has tried the talcum powder route, but I hope this helps anyway  :D

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 19:24
by Blarney
xx
Introducing Hens Q?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 22:00
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 32 queries.