To anchor or not?

• 3 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
To anchor or not?
« on: July 10, 2012, 14:40 »
I was given a 6 by 8 greenhouse by a friend. The green house was at the house when he bought it quite a few years ago so no idea of make. He wanted to extend his garden area so the green house was surplus to requirements. He took the glass out  and moved it around the lawn, so he could mow. I went and dismantled it and collected the glass that hadn't been broken when he took it down.

I tried to label all parts but I got some 'help' when dismantling so not all parts labelled. So assembling took a bit of time and re-arrangement of parts. On my allotment the only space for the green house was on a large( much bigger than the greenhouse) concrete base.

So after all that; should I need to anchor it to the concrete base. The problem is that the concrete is pretty thick( I think it was the base for a large garage ). The base of the greenhouse is made of some sort of heavy girder with a open box cross section. The open side faces in.

Any suggestions of ways to anchor it most welcome.
I have put it up
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: To anchor or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 15:03 »
The girder base sounds pretty heavy, as is glass, so as long as the greenhouse itself is bolted to the base you would probably get away with it, but would you sleep soundly on very windy nights?  :unsure:

Neither concrete nor thick steel is very easy to drill, but drilling holes through both would be a nightmare with normal DIY tools- I'd compromise with an anchor bolt into the concrete near each corner (4 in total) each with a very large heavy-duty washer under the bolt head to trap the edge of the girder.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 15:13 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 17:50 »
Sorry gave the wrong impression the base is not heavy its just heavier than the frame. Would be easy to drill it but due to its shape and the fact that the greenhouse is now up would be awkward to drill.
Gardman sell an anchor kit which is probably what I'll get.

richie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 22:24 »
6 be 8 is quite heavy with the glass in and should be ok in a strong wind,but if that strong wind is a direct hit on the greenhouse then it will move the greenhouse but worse still if you have a window open the greenhouse will explode,so after all my waffle,yes,probably best putting anchor bolts in for peace of mind.............4 bolts are cheaper than dozens of sheets of glass.

xx
Stakes/anchor pegs

Started by fridgesoup on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 22:46
by fridgesoup

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.