New shed - roof 'windows'?

• 5 Replies

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
New shed - roof 'windows'?
« on: January 29, 2012, 19:59 »
I bought a shed today, only small - 6 x 4, managed to get a good deal at Homebase with 20% off this weekend!

For the price, it looks good and seems solid, but I will be making a few alterations before erecting it on the plot; I'll paint/seal the inside and out of all panels and floor with wood preserver. I'll also be lining the inside with wood panels to really seal it up and I'll be adding a few extra struts under the floor board.

I've got some very thick 3' x 2' slabs which I will be using for the base and I will be securing the shed to the ground with four, 4' fence posts - three feet of which will be sunk into the ground at each corner to ensure it doesn't blow over or even get pushed over :( Of course, I will also be replacing the supplied door fixings and lock with something more substantial!

I just wanted to ask - are there any other suggestions before I do put the thing together, particularly, this shed doesn't have a window - which is what I wanted. But I have toyed with the idea of putting some kind of perspex 'windows' in the roof panel to allow some natural light in - purely to be able to see more easily, not to grow anything. I've read another thread which questioned replacing the roof with corrigated plastic sheeting, but I tend to agree that this may make it too hot in the summer months.

Has anyone else done this and if so, any ideas how I could add the clear panel and still make the roof weather proof?
Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

Trillium

Re: New shed - roof 'windows'?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 20:25 »
You might want to look into purchasing a small, proper skylight that opens. They come with all the sealing paraphrenalia  and will open and lock as well. I'd install this to the side least likely to be seen by vandals.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 20:27 »
I suspect it will get quite algae-coated, will reduce any insulation from the roof (depends what you're storing in it), and may damage the structure of the roof (depends on what the roof is made out of).

It has possibilities but needs planning carefully.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19 »
You could have a look on Ebay for a secondhand caravan skylight. They allow a bit of ventilation, have a fly-screen, and are are too small for people to get through.

Might be worth a thought. :)

savbo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34 »
putting windows in the walls of a shed isn't hard - I used an old double glazing unit, cut out a hole slightly smaller than glass and put in cross-battens on the inside frame below and above. Little pit of wood outside as a sill. Lot easier to keep the rain out than in the roof?

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 21:38 »
putting windows in the walls of a shed isn't hard - I used an old double glazing unit, cut out a hole slightly smaller than glass and put in cross-battens on the inside frame below and above. Little pit of wood outside as a sill. Lot easier to keep the rain out than in the roof?

I actually chose a shed without a window for security. I had thought it would make things a little harder if someone wanted to get in (although I accept if they want to break in, they will) :(

xx
Best way to roof a shed

Started by JayG on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:21
by portcullis
xx
Grow veg on shed roof

Started by Novice1970 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 10:41
by Novice1970
xx
shed roof, best size ply?

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:15
by noshed
xx
clerestory roof for shed

Started by surbie100 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 20:50
by surbie100

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.