Fruit cage recommendations

• 23 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Fruit cage recommendations
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 19:55 »
I don't think it is the potential wildness of the fruit I will have to worry about. We have lots of hungry birds here sadly!

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 22:23 »
hi,
i will take few pics tomorrow of my fruit cage when i'm up the plot and put them on here, i didn't pay a lot for it,
6 salvaged fence posts, you could find a fencing firm near you ask and ask if you can check out their skips.
A few long pallets (denailed) i got from the local factory's.
Green netting:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-X20M-GREEN-DEBRIS-SCAFFOLD-GARDEN-WINDBREAK-NETTING-ALLOTMENTS-GENERAL-USE-/350801991752?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item51ad6d9848
hinges,
small bird mesh for the top:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-NETTING-BIRD-NET-FRUIT-CAGE-NET-19mm-mesh-3M-X-2M-/251284651178?pt=UK_H_G_Garden_Plants_Landscaping_Garden_Materials_ET&hash=item3a81bb7caa
An old bolt lock i had lying around.
Some rope which i got from my local fisherman.

£36.50 and screws or nails.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 22:24 by Dantheman »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 22:24 »
Finished my first blueberry raised bed cage and I'm quite impressed with it. The robins have already been trying to figure how to get in. OH cut the conduit so everything is very snug inside the raised beds. We went with UV resistant outdoor conduit rather than pvc piping. Cage 2 is almost pieced and I'll get the netting up soon as it's ready.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 15:39 »
If you can put a pic up Dantheman that would be great. I am coming round to the idea that maybe I will be able to make one by myself. I think the key thing will be to get the measurements etc right and to make sure the uprights are solid and straight which I guess I can do by cementing in.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 18:45 »
hi again,
I took some pictures for you, mine is a lot bigger then you will need but you could easily make it smaller.

The first picture is of the cage.

The second picture it the small bird netting on top, I've weaved rope from one side to the other to hold up the netting.

the third is one of the corners i have put three planks from a pallet up the side for height.it will also be used at the back part for the raised beds going in side.

I forgot to take a picture of the door.

if you would like anymore pictures let me know.

Hope this helps.
DSC04999 (200 x 150).jpg
DSC05000 (400 x 300).jpg
DSC05001 (300 x 400).jpg

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 19:15 »
Thanks. A couple of questions:

Does the debris netting allow insects in for pollination? I have plenty of debris netting but got it because it kept cabbage whites off my brassicas.

Where did you source your wood from? I have been doing a lot of research this afternoon and using the cheapest pressure treated wood I can find the wood comes in at £150 - I can get the whole thing for £225 from Harrods Horticultural so this is looking like a similar priced option to a wooden one by the time I get netting etc

How did you make your door as I would imagine this is the harder bit?

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 19:46 »
The netting seems to be ok i guess as all the bushes are starting to flower.  The mesh on the door is 20 x 20mm squares, i will pop up to the plot tomorrow to take some more pics of the door.

I was lucky with the timber posts, another plot holder dumped lots of old fence panels and posts in one of our car parks, so i had a good rummage though.  Since then i have found a local fencing yard which almost every week has a full skip to look though.

in return i give them a few jars of pickle beetroot each year and some strawberry's. it cost them money to get rid of the skips so the more i can take the better for them.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 20:03 »
Ok thanks. I will do some research into local fencing companies as well to see if I can be lucky enough to source some for free (although knowing my luck probably not!).

Your fruit cage looks fab by the way so well done!

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 20:37 »
Thanks will put a picture up when it's all finished.

xx
fruit cage

Started by alfieplot162 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 21:24
by PennyS
xx
Fruit Cage

Started by Knight Family on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 09:06
by jonny
question
Fruit cage - DIY advice please.

Started by moreteavicar on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 16:34
by rowlandwells
xx
fruit cage construction

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 09:06
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 40 queries.