Prolapse

• 4 Replies

CoopersCoop

Prolapse
« on: July 01, 2012, 21:34 »
Hello all,

Sadly my little lady seems to be in the wars again. Yesterday, I noticed that patsy my wyandotte was taking a long time to lay an egg. However, she appeared from the coop chirping as usual, so I thought nothing more about it untill today when I noticed her feathers around her backside were not as 'fluffy' as usual. I picked her up to check her and noticed that she seems to have a small prolapse.

Me and my OH quickly bathed and added a little honey and savlon to her vent area and gently pushed the prolapse back in. We put her in a carry box in the house with water and  food and left her to recover. Upon checking her the first time, it seemed as what we had done had worked. but then later it had popped back out again (I think this is when she pooped).

She seems 100% fine in herself, but this prolapse, however small is really concerning me, considering how young she is still (only 8 months).

My intention is to take her to the vets tomorrow, but I'm worried from reading previous posts on this subject that it won't be something that she will recover from and it will be and ongoing problem.

If anyone can give me any advice on my situation at all, it would really help me. I'm really worried about her.

Thanks,

Charlotte
Charlotte and her Hens

compostqueen

Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 22:48 »
I think the vets is a good idea.  Better to know what, if anything, you can do if it happens again. 

CoopersCoop

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 13:48 »
Thank you CompostQueen!

I took Patsy to the vets this morning, and the vet seems to be not to worried about and told me to carry on with the actions I have already taken, and to pop her back in with the other girls as the prolapse is only pea size (and back inside her).
He didn't charge me either which i thought was incredibly decent of him.

I'm just looking at her in the run and she seems a little subdued- whether that its just the weather (its slinging it down at the moment!) and I'm thinking about it too much. The other girls are also pretty hunched up in this weather at the moment too. She is her usual self other than that really.

Has anyone else got anymore top tips for ongoing prolapses?

thanks

splash101

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 13:53 »
perseverance! also if she is back with the others, keep a close eye on them because if it pops back out they will peck it.

glad you found a vet, we could do with a few more like that  ;)

kegs

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 16:30 »
This is quite a good thread about prolapses.  It can be fixed but I would keep checking her rear because I lost a hen who prolapsed when she first tried to lay but unfortunately the other hens got to her first and we had to cull her.  I didn't have a clue what was going on because we'd only had them a few days. 

Good luck with your chicken.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=74347.msg846192#msg846192

xx
HELP!! what causes a prolapse

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:48
by joyfull
xx
Please help! Prolapse

Started by LilRed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 16:54
by LilRed
xx
Possible prolapse

Started by Kate58 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2017, 09:27
by Kate58
xx
prolapse

Started by foxy_boxer on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 20:09
by foxy_boxer

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 36 queries.