Prolapse

• 3 Replies

Chicken Pete

Prolapse
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:44 »
One of our chickens suffered a prolapse and lost quite a bit of blood ( she is OK now),however, I asked a local person who sells chickens and he advised me that this was most likely caused by us giving the chickens pasta,rice,etc!!!too much protein making larger eggs! I recall reading on this site that this was good for them but am now concerned that by doing this we are harming them.
Could someone please advise as to whether it is good to give them pasta,rice daily or whether there is a period when it is OK for them to have it.
I think I read that it was good to give it to them during their mould in the winter!!!
Would appreciate guidance on this.
Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55 »
As far as I am aware pasta, rice etc are not high protein they are carbohydrates and should only be given very sparingly as a treat.
Prolapses can happen from the hen laying very often and also from laying large eggs (these are common in older birds and those bred for laying 6 or 7 eggs a week for a couple of years), however they can happen with any bird and at any age - all it takes is one egg to be difficult in being pushed along the passage forcing the hen to strain. Wash her prolapsed area and then apply a little bit of haemorrhoid cream to the swollen bit, gently try and push the prolapse back in (the cream will help reduce any puffiness), then keep her indoors in a box in the dark to help stop her laying for a few days - with mixed corn and water. If the other hens see this they will peck her vent area and she will bleed causing more pecking. Keep her calm and keep a check on her vent, prolapses often pop back out again when they next lay and sometimes people because of this advise culling, however they don't always re-occur and if you are very attached to her you could ask your vet about getting an implant put in to stop her laying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 14:34 »
I've recently treated my hen for quite a severe prolapse..her eggs suddenly begame HUGE, I hadnt changed their food or treat intake, I'm presuming its just her age and being an ex-batt. It took 3 weeks of constant care, but we've had 4 weeks of her being completely fine now, so it was worth it.
As joyful said, Germaloids all the way, 3 times a day....but I put LOADS on, pushed the prolapse back in and keep her in the dark for a few days. If it keeps popping back out, more cream and put it back in. Took me 6 days of pushing it back in before it would stay...but over the 6 days, it shrank considerably. I let her back out with her friends because she was lonley, sprayed her bum purple and kept checking on her every few hours. Gave her a warm bath each morning and helped her poo, more cream and sent her back out. Constant vigilance and a lot of hard care and a prolapse can be fixed. Not saying it wont happen again, but she's fixed for now.
Good luck with your girl x
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 14:42 »
Its good to hear Carla's experience.
Well done Carla for your perserverance, I must admit I thought you were fighting a loosing battle with your girl, so I was really glad to here of the positive outcome.  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

xx
Possible prolapse

Started by Kate58 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2017, 09:27
by Kate58
xx
Prolapse....

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 16:46
by syman
xx
prolapse

Started by foxy_boxer on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 20:09
by foxy_boxer
xx
After a Prolapse?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 08:41
by Jo57

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.