any advice welcome

• 5 Replies

kellym

any advice welcome
« on: February 16, 2011, 17:53 »
evening all im a little concerned about my one girl so any help / advice would be greatly recieved. a few weeks ago she started eating her own poop  :ohmy:

i asked for some advice on here but didnt really get an answer as to why she does this or if it will harm her, i have just gone out to put them to bed and have noticed 2 very watery poos with a little white in it.

she seems in good health still running run the garden when they are out and pacing the run when i walk up the garden to let them out. the only thing i have noticed is that she has been digging in the run and found some sand which has tiny little pebbles in it which is coming out in her solid poops, all else seems fine she is still laying everyday and still the happy little hen i had from day 1.

i have looked through the pooh pictures but dont really see any similar so hopeing someone has been through this before.

thanks for your time sorry if i go on im just worried  :(

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: any advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 18:08 »
Hi KellyM,
I wonder if she might be dehydrated?  I had a Bluebell who had urates similar to what you describe, although this only lasted a few days.  I remember people saying that it could be that she needed more water.  (At the time the water had frozen - it was just after Christmas)  It might help people if you could post a pic - sorry can't help you with how to  upload one.  Also, maybe think about checking under one wing and comparing it with the temperature of you other girls this will tell you if she might have a temperature.  Give us as much info as you can.  What age is she, set up - size etc  Does she have full access to grit/ oyster shell etc?
Good luck and remember, no question is silly - that's how we learn.  I am sure that someone will give you some advice/ reassurance soon.  Good luck

kellym

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 18:35 »
hi tigerwren
They have access to 2 water drinkers all the time which i add cider vinegar to so there should be no reason why she should be without a drink. i got them in october when they were 15 weeks old so that would make them roughly 7-8 months old. in the day they are in a run which is 6x6x6 the floor is just soil (mud after the rain yesterday) they have plenty to keep them entertained. i feed them on mixed layers feed the crum type stuff, they have one of them grit block things but they never bother with it. how else can i get more grit into them if thats what she needs?? thanks for your help and understanding from a newbie  :)

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 18:59 »
I buy a mixed grit/oyster shell. I always leave a a bowl out for mine even though they free range.

One of my girls regularly leaves those sort of poohs and also digs bloomin girt holes in the ground. I check her crop regularly because usually before she starts trying to find australia her crop can be very solid. After it is normal again.

I dont know if yours is the same but it is normal for them to salve these issues themselves just like dogs eat grass to make themselves sick.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:54 »
Just a thought. You mention that you add cider vinegar to your waterers. Maybe this is the problem if you have a hen that does not like it. Also I think those that use cider vinegar do not add it all the time. As you have 2 water drinkers maybe you could try one with and one without. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:48 »
I wouldn't worry too much so long as she seems her usual perky self. Mine do poos exactly the same from time to time, especially in the summer when it's hot. Is your coop airated? maybe she's getting hot at night and then drinking a lot?

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
advice please

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 19:44
by karlooben
xx
Cat advice

Started by Belinda on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:33
by Belinda
xx
Thanks for the advice

Started by merrycraft on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 12:31
by garddwr

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 36 queries.