Rat problems and midwinter hens!

• 7 Replies

Njal

« on: December 22, 2008, 14:15 »
Firstly, my hens mad it past midwinter without slowing down their egg production.
I only have two and they lay one a day each!
I was expecting some kind of slow down with the short days, but nope!

Secondly, we have suddenly got loads of rats!
I had noticed that one was living in our compost bin, but two days ago I saw the hens were agitated and noticed that a rat was running out of the hedge next to their run and picking up bits of food then running back.

I took the hens out and put them ina movable run I have on the lawn and then watched at least three rats dart in and out of the run in broad daylight!

Anyway, I went and put down a poison trap (two days later and they haven't touched it) and put a spring trap in the compost bin.
I trapped a rat after about 20 seconds - I was literally walking away when I heard the snap!

Then got another a few hours later. But then saw three in the run again yesterday!
I haven't seen any today but I took the bell off my cat's collar and found some blood on my kitchen floor this morning so here's hoping the cat is earning her keep.

Just to ask - apart from upsetting the hens, what can rats actually do to them which would cause them harm?
Can hens catch Weil's disease?

Jellyhead

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 14:54 »
:( Kill them :shock:  :twisted:  they are nasty things and will kill your chooks, I lost 3 to rats and have been vigilent ever since. Fortunately we get signs of mice first so thats when I start putting the necessaries down. Good luck :)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 15:13 »
Most important thing to do Njal is to make sure the rats have no access to food. If you can feed teh chickens off the floor and in measured amounts for now so there's no waste. At least the rats won't find anything to eat.

That should mean they'll find the poison a lot more tempting. i think they can spread several diseases from one flock to another and probably from other species too.

And of course, once established, they might see your home as a nice winter nestign place.  :?

There's plenty on here with first hand experience so you should get some specific advice.

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 15:58 »
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Hate Rats

Snap traps are great so long as they are safely out of the way of wild birds & your hens of course :)
My biggest tip for the snap trap is to use a slice of cheese held in place by an elastic band - the critters have to really pull at the cheese, then BANG :shock:
I also use the live traps and have a lot of success :)  

My biggest problem has been keeping them out of my old and very tired feed shed, I have put twilweld all round the bottom of it and up the sides they love chewing corners :(
 I don't  want to give them any where to hide :)

I doubt I will ever be rat free and I get as much pleasure from finding a dead one as I do from finding eggs in the nest box - ooh I am evil :lol:

Like Rob said try & keep food spillages to a minimum ( I have been known to hoover any spare corn up  :oops: )
And whilst you know they are around it might be an idea to keep food out of their coop, that way they wont even attempt to go in :D

Hope you catch some more soon :D

Sarah :)

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 16:40 »
I must admit we had a problem in the summer, but blue block rat poison has worked a treat. No more rats.. I bate every month just in case, in areas that are like a 'run' behind the chicken coop and are safe as dogs n' chooks can't get to them.

Oh and on the topic of eggs.. one of my girls has been regular from the point of lay and is still laying daily.. one other is getting ready to lay i think! lol

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 16:57 »
i had 1 rat in my run that had made a home under the old shed base but i did not know he was there until we moved it , someone who works for a pest control company has given me a bait box until this weekend and i havent seen the rat for over a week now but if its gone under the shed to die then i wont know about it until i find enough men to help me lift the shed up .

i do feed mine in the house of an evening as i find thats the easiest way of getting them to bed but i am confused on wether to do that or not .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 17:31 »
Quote from: "karlooben"

i do feed mine in the house of an evening as i find thats the easiest way of getting them to bed but i am confused on wether to do that or not .

I just find it works best for me not too, I know then the rat wont be tempted inside :)

Sarah :D

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 17:55 »
suppose all i can do is to try and not feed them  all things work different for everyone dont they .

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 34 queries.