Is anyone doing any gardening at all?

• 48 Replies

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:08 »
I think with the weather having been cwap ( :roll: ) all this year I find myself with a perfect excuse for not having done much gardening. I do confess that me having been so busy with other things, I'd have not been able to do as much as I should have at this time BUT the constant rain, snow, sleet and cold hasn't made it easy. Am I alone in this? Have you guys managed to get your gardens in order, plants planted and waiting to be put into the ground, etc?

What are you guys planting right now? Peas, leeks... please share so I know where to start. I've not planted anything at all this year and I need ideas as I have 3 whole weeks off work and I hope and pray I can get things in order. Most of all I really hope the weather works with me too...

P.S I've missed you guys  :wink:  :oops:  :lol:
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:32 »
Heavy rain/hail shower here, hence sat on this thing.

I think Wednesday is a 'no rain' day so might get something done then but loads of other stuff on the list so maybe not.  :?

Waiting for the word from my OH to make final preps with the veg beds but not gonna happen today.

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33 »
:D We've missed you too Jac  :!:

I'm really behind this year  :evil:

But I've got the potatoes in (first earlies and second earlies) and some peas and broad beans, onions and shalotts.  Got a few things going in the greenhouse though, brassicas, leeks cues and toms.

What are you planning to grow this year Jac  :?:

mashauk

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 13:07 »
It was sunny when I left home, but raining when I got to the lottie.  Waited for it to stop and stuck in a row of beetroot and kohl rabi (under glass).  Of course now I've given up and come home again the sun has decided to show its face, grrr.

dugless

post subject
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 13:45 »
:D I have been lucky where  live the weather has not ben too severe. I have broad beans in flower(planted last October) comming on in the green house Brussells Cauliflower leeks purple sprouting summer cabbage.tomato. in the allotment " two rows early spuds Just showing (hoed up)  not showing yet two rows second earlys  three rows main crop  parsnips and swede in the home garden I row peas showing raddish lettuce spring onions. Bed of onions planted last October. :D  :D  :D
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 13:55 »
Dodging the weather, I have (rows of 32' unless otherwise stated), 1 row shallots, 4 rows of 3 different types of onion set, 2 x rows 'Kelvdon Wonder Peas", 1 x 20' Row 'Jaguar Peas' 1 row parsnips, 1 row 'Early Nantes' carrots, 6' row spring onions, 3 x 24' rows early spuds.

Already in over winter - 2 rows Japanese onions, multitude of garlic.

Still cropping from last year- leeks , carrots, sprouts & parsnips.

Cropping from this year - Rhubarb

Shooting - Autumn & Summer raspberries
In leaf - Gooseberries & Blackcurrants

Can't move in the greenhouses for spuds chitting, numerous trays of brassicas & other veg, assorted flowers, 6 sorts of herb, 96 sweetcorn, courgettes, pumkins etc..

And Mrs. DD. would like to clean her window sills when the tomatoes, cucumbers, gherkins, peppers etc. can be liberated.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 14:52 »
Nope, no gardening here, far to wet and cold. I am considering a rice field option this year 8)
always have a target
and an objective.

jacnal

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 15:06 »
Wow!

I better get moving then. I've yet to buy my seed potatoes :oops: , but I was planning on just having a go at maincrop potatoes for my first time at them. Ditto carrots and perhaps I'll have a go at parsnips too - just maybe.

I've had good success with leeks, (from a kind lottie neighbour last year), and I still have a few in the ground fattening up nicely. Calabrese brocolli flowered after only one cutting but the purple sprouting brocs are such a success, I'm so pleased with them. I planted these from seed. The rhubarb's growing again, and the fruit trees and bushes are leafing and flowering. Exciting times ahead!

Aunty, what brassiccas have you going at the moment? Can I sow brocolli again now? I'll look into sowing some cukes, tomatoes and leeks by the end of this week (from seed).

Masha, thanks for reminding me - I've got to plant some beetroot too! I need to prepare the ground...

PoultryG  :lol: , Wednesday's the day, huh?

Dugless, the brussels sprouts - are those for eating this coming x-mas? I really would love some homegrown sprouts this year. Time to get a move on, I'm so much behind!

DD, you're sooooo organised! If you've got sweetcorn going, already, I'll make sure I've got mine planted in pots before I go back to work in 3 weeks time! Your plot sounds so neat and organised!

Thanks guys, I now have an idea what to get going asap. Thankfully I now have a little garden at home, so I can get the sowing done in pots if the weather's being silly for the allotment! Just need to pop into Wyevale for bags of compost (as mine's not ready for another 2 years, lol!)

jacnal

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 15:11 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
Nope, no gardening here, far to wet and cold. I am considering a rice field option this year 8)

:lol:  :lol: I agree, the weather's just awful! Hoping for the best in the next few weeks!

newseed

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 17:40 »
My Onions & Garlic are about 3" high now carrots just poking through and beetroot just a bit behind, there all in my raised bed.  :D
Inside I have Courgettes, Tomatoes and Cucumbers.  Yesterday I bought a 4 Tier plastic greenhouse from Wilko's because I'm running out of room on my window cills but, I think its still to cold to move anything into this plastic tent what does anybody else think? :?:

mashauk

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 18:48 »
Aunty, what brassiccas have you going at the moment? Can I sow brocolli again now? I'll look into sowing some cukes, tomatoes and leeks by the end of this week (from seed).

I know I'm not Aunty but I'm in London too!  I've got brussels and cabbages growing nicely as regards brassicas.

Dominic

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 19:09 »
I've got 3 cherry tree's planted and 7 soft fruit bushes planted, a bit of life on them.

One of my garlic has survived, and my onions are rooting, I know this because the neighbours cats keep pulling them out.

Got some raddish and a few spring onions in propagators, the raddishes that were planted out didnt survive the snow.
Some corriander is doing well in pots inside

Chilli Peppers, onion chives, basil, tomatoes, parsnips, all planted inside but showing no signs of life as at yet.

I've got a 2 foot deep bed dug out that I need to buy 300-400litres of compost for as well, not sure whats going in that yet.

I'm not allowed to touch the garden now though until I finish fitting the kitchen.
I might see if I can "borrow" some bramble cuttings from next doors garden for a fence in the front garden
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 19:14 »
Quote from: "Dominic"

Got some raddish and a few spring onions in propagators, the raddishes that were planted out didnt survive the snow.

Radish do not like being  transplanted, it's probably not the snow that did them in!

Here's how I do it..

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=196759&highlight=radish#196759

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 19:21 »
Quote from: ""

In cell trays I've got caulis, brussels and  calibreese, can't remember if I've done the purple sprouting yet but I will if I haven't.

jacnal

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 19:32 »
Quote from: "Dominic"
I've got 3 cherry tree's planted and 7 soft fruit bushes planted, a bit of life on them.

One of my garlic has survived, and my onions are rooting, I know this because the neighbours cats keep pulling them out.

Some corriander is doing well in pots inside

Chilli Peppers, onion chives, basil, tomatoes, parsnips, all planted inside but showing no signs of life as at yet.

I've got a 2 foot deep bed dug out that I need to buy 300-400litres of compost for as well, not sure whats going in that yet.

I'm not allowed to touch the garden now though until I finish fitting the kitchen.
I might see if I can "borrow" some bramble cuttings from next doors garden for a fence in the front garden

I've got PLENTY of branmle, come take as much as you want! :wink:

xx
No dig gardening

Started by freckledbeck on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 07:57
by freckledbeck
xx
I'm new to gardening

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
New to Gardening

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 16:34
by greenockian
xx
My First Day Of Gardening

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:56
by Tykelad

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.