Replacement Hens

• 9 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Replacement Hens
« on: January 24, 2011, 18:56 »
Fox broke in an eat my two girls Gertrude and Hilda.  I have bought an omlet classic which they say houses three chickens.    I intend to let them roam while iam around and lock them away at night.

Just like your thoughts I can get three ex batts but have been told they have a high mortality rate.  Around 30 to 40 percent dont live long after getting the good life.

I also thought about banties.  Are the eggs much smaller.  Can I in theory double the amount in the Omlet classic to 6 although I dont think I would  like them cramped.

Been offered some Pekins Banties are they good layers. 

Any other thoughts welcome
NOT ARF !

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Replacement Hens
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 19:01 »
I wouldn't house more than 4 banties in the eglu, as for their eggs it depends on the breed. True bantams (those that have no large fowl equivelent) tend to be small but the sort you are thinking about will lay eggs about 1/2 to 2/3rds the large fowl size I should think  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 20:29 »
If the fox has come once he may well return. Are the chickens going to be in a run?

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 20:35 »
If the fox has come once he may well return. Are the chickens going to be in a run?

Moved location from alotment to home  and run will only be used when i am physically around

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:42 »
Was it a wooden coop that the fox managed to get into?

I have pekin Bantams they lay small, pale coloured eggs a bit more than half the size of a usual egg.
 In spring and summer they lay every day, but mine have stopped over the winter. They can go broody quite often as well (no eggs!).  Lovely friendly little poppets though.
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 13:21 »
run will only be used when i am physically around

Sorry but I disagree with this.  You can't keep hens in a coop; the coop is for sleeping and laying in, not living in. 

They need at least 1 square meter of space each in a run (more for larger breeds)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 20:34 »
I *think* Fluff meant they will be in the attached eglu run when not around then more freedom when Fluff is there to watch them not kept in the eglu itself when not there  :)

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 23:23 »
I *think* Fluff meant they will be in the attached eglu run when not around then more freedom when Fluff is there to watch them not kept in the eglu itself when not there  :)

Roam free when people are around most of day.  In run when out for shoping etc.  In eglu at night   :)

Fluff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 23:30 »
Was it a wooden coop that the fox managed to get into?

I have pekin Bantams they lay small, pale coloured eggs a bit more than half the size of a usual egg.
 In spring and summer they lay every day, but mine have stopped over the winter. They can go broody quite often as well (no eggs!).  Lovely friendly little poppets though.

Fox took them during the day .  Let them out  converted shed in morning.   Fox dug under security fencing .  wire on floor had whole in ?  Presume fox ate at wire but dont know for sure.  Our lottie is quite this time of year no one around

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 17:44 »
You are correct about the ex bats, they are high maintenance (can think of another woooman like that ::)), they have no or little immune system as they have been fed anti-biotics all their life and the stress of rescue and old living conditions, along with unatural laying means the are pretty much burnt out, I have three rescues, I had originally four, two died within three months and the other two are looking healthy, only one lays, I aquired an orphan that was roaming the streets over Christmas, no one has come to claim her back, I have a feeling that she has stopped laying so the owners let her loose. Ex-bats are really for pets not laying, so if you would want eggs then go for a pol or banty.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
New hens

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by j00les
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC
clip
New hens

Started by ActionFlack on Chicken Chat

21 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 12:58
by themagicaltoad1
exclamation
You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:01
by graces-chickens

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.