Fruit growing questions.

• 4 Replies

-Cat-

Fruit growing questions.
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:59 »
Riht well I have worked out the layout for my proposed garden. I have decided to grow all the fruit (except rasperrries) in pots as I read it can be a good way of stopping them growing to big. I do however have a couple of questions.

Things like blueberriesI readget better yealed if you have 2 different plants to pollinates each other. Well I dont really want to have 2 largepots of them, so can I either plant 2 plants in the on pot, or would they also be polinated if I had other berry pots with them, like redcurrents, strawberries and the raspberries?

Also On the subject of dwarfing fruit plants. I read the same about doing this with things like apple and pear trees, planting them in pits to reduce root grwth and stop them growing to huge. Cn you do this with any apple/pear tree or would it only work with verities specifically sold as dwarf trees?

Oh sorry one more queston, I want to grown the rasperries trained up a garden oblisk structure. How many plants should I look at planting round its base?

gobs

Fruit growing questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 13:06 »
Only dwarf trees will suit pots.

Other berries won't pollinate your blueberry.

Raspberries, 1 1/2 - 2 feet apart.  They won't grow upward more than their height, though, a few feet, depending on variety.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

agapanthus

Fruit growing questions.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 13:10 »
You do need different varieties of blueberry to make them pollinate, but I would'nt put 2 plants in 1 pot....they need a largish area  (pot) to themselves. Also they need ericacious compost and no tap water only rain water. :)

philskin

Fruit growing questions.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 13:21 »
hiya cat  a few yrs ago I read a book about a victorian walled garden I think it was heligan that if you placed a large flat slab ie slate or concrete slab , it would stop the tap root going down thus stunting the apple tree, because they dug them up in the old garden and couldn,t work out what they were for and an old surviving worker from heligan told him thats what they were for  hope thats usefull
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

-Cat-

Fruit growing questions.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 14:58 »
Right I have done a hunt and found a veriety of blueberry called 'sunshine blue' which is self fertile and compact in size to be grown in containers. I dont know what the fruit taste like if anyone has any experience of these. I did also look at the 'tophat' variety but aparenty the fruit have a poor taste and are very small.

Thank you for the tips re dwarf apples and rasperries. I did think that raspberries grew quite tall, I think I might make a row of them instead with can and wire supports with a little row of flowers allong the front to make it look more attractive.

xx
Fruit questions

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2021, 12:29
by amiman
xx
Just a few questions about fruit and veg if i may please

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 10:00
by Rob the rake
xx
Soft fruit questions

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 20:40
by New shoot
xx
New allotment plots fruit tree questions

Started by David cotton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 20:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 38 queries.