have you ordered all your seeds

• 46 Replies

Christine

Re: have you ordered all your seeds
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 09:14 »
Yep - I've heard words about compost supplies at Garden Centres too.

jaydig

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 09:27 »
Unfortunately, I never seem to have ordered all my seeds until it's too late in the season to sow anything else! I always give in to temptation when a seed catalogue is waved under my nose.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2020, 20:37 »
Must admit I had not thought about seed ordering , get Christmas out of the way and look forward to the days drawing out.
Have just look in diary , bought Charlott's  second week of Jan and Desiree from Wilko third week ( 23rd )

Popped to our local GC today  , they had a good selection of seed potatoes , is it too early to get them?
£3.99 per 2kg  bag.   
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 21:07 »
Popped to our local GC today  , they had a good selection of seed potatoes , is it too early to get them?
£3.99 per 2kg  bag.   
If you've got somewhere to store them, in the dark and frost-free, but not warm enough to start them into growth, for about a month - then it's not too early :)

Tenhens

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 22:17 »
Thanks for the advice , trip to the Garden Centre tomorrow . Could wrap them up and put under the tree , with a tag for Mrs Tenhens  :lol: :lol:   Suspect turning down the heating may be pushing it !! 

Tenhens

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 14:01 »
Think I might need to order another allotment looking at my seed box.  :lol:

You may be aware that threads have been started on these pages on the subject of becoming a seedaholic  :lol: :lol:  The mods may have to move your post !! ;) ;)

Serious question  , Is there the risk of a shortage of seed potatoes with all what's been happening , after my earlier post Mrs SWMBO said that we will get them in due course , thinks she's earmarked after Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 14:09 by Tenhens »

Mr Dog

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 14:09 »
Probably not.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2020, 14:27 »
serious question  , Is there the risk of a shortage of seed potatoes with all what's been happening
Some varieties seem to be in short supply, already, on the main supplier on-line sites....

Don't know if that is because many people, like myself, have ordered early 'just in case' or if they had reduced stock to start with.....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2020, 16:59 »
Some stocks seem short due to poor quality. It was a weird and tough growing year and seed tubers are basically fresh.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Tenhens

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2020, 20:36 »
Got to the Garden Centre today and bought our seed potatoes ,  4 bags Desiree  , 3 Charlotte and 1 bag of Duke of York .  Not bought the Duke before apparently good for roasting .  Good selection on sale may go back and get more , so difficult to judge if you've got enough !!

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2020, 14:52 »
Dobies seed order will be going in this week just for a few things that I need. I tell myself I need them but looking through my seed tin I probably don't. But then again it is Christmas so why not  :D

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 14:29 »
Got everything I wanted from local Dobbies. They had good selection of seed potatoes. You have to watch predictive text. Nearly posted I had "every thong" from Dobbbies :mellow :mellow:: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 14:30 »
Well that would have been a worthwhile trip  :lol: ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tenhens

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 19:39 »
Following earlier posts on this thread that mentioned Premier Seeds Direct , I'd thought I'd give them a go.
Placed an order last Thursday evening ( 7th )  Seeds arrived yesterday ( 12th )   20 plus packs of seeds in secure packaging , order correct and in tact.   Pleased and hopefully will have a good harvest. 
I'm sure that other suppliers give similar service.

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2021, 22:06 »
I'm a bit late coming to this post, but this is what we did...

We moved to Herne Bay back in June 2019, after living in the same house in London for forty years. With stuff all over the place the first thing we did was to put our name down for an allotment, even before we found the kettle. At the end of February 2020 we received a call inviting us to look at a couple of plots with a view to taking one. We took one, and set about clearing the overgrown and neglected plot. Three weeks later lockdown happened, and we had not bought many seeds. With garden centres and the allotment shop closed, with the whole country reeling from what had happened, we made do with whatever we could get.

Not wanting to get caught out again this year, we made our order as soon as the catalogues were available at the allotment shop (to take advantage of the discounts on offer). We have all those seeds and have already started sowing (mainly chillies and peppers). However... with two of us here, both keen on trying to fill our greenhouses with seed trays full of seedlings for the plot and our new to us garden, I think we will be buying more seeds all year!

As for growing something new this year, it is squash and pumpkins - never grown them before. We were given some by other plot holders during the year and were so impressed with the flavour and texture, compared with shop-bought, we are now looking forward (hopefully) to trying our own produce later this year.

Ralph   
I need more space...

xx
So who has ordered their seeds then?

Started by kooringa on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 23:22
by John
xx
Anyone ordered their seeds yet?

Started by southwells farm on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 16:23
by taurus1530
xx
Yipppeee mum has just ordered me

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 19:51
by Parsnip
xx
Have you ordered your seed spuds yet?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 09:09
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 55 queries.