New allotment plots fruit tree questions

• 4 Replies

David cotton

New allotment plots fruit tree questions
« on: January 05, 2015, 16:43 »
Hello all Me and my pal have taken on 2 plots which have a few fruit trees on them a couple of them have problems and haven't beared fruit for a while I wondered if anyone can help me ,,, thanks in advance dave

David cotton

Re: New allotment plots fruit tree questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 17:22 »
I was told couple of them have scab but seen as there's no leaves left on tree im unsure what to do I noticed all trees have lichen growin on mainly the backs of them

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 19:14 »
Welcome to the site  :)

Lichen in itself isn't anything to worry about - it's often an indicator of clean air.

Very difficult to advise about what might be wrong without further details I'm afraid.

What types of trees?  Any photos of them or their fruit?  What symptoms have you seen that make you think each tree has problems?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

David cotton

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 20:17 »
We have only been in the plot 3 months and were more concerned with clearing 5 yrs of neglect away . I'm unsure What type of Apple tree it is . I was told it hasn't beared fruit for years so I took to pruning away I lifted a lot of slabs that were Layed under neath the tree so I hope this solves one problem in one tree . We took on the deco d plot and the neighbour told me this morning the fruit trees have scab so I wondered if it's treatable etc and how I can tell for sure what I'm dealing with . Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 20:25 »
OK, so it's just apple tree(s)?  You just said you had fruit trees initially but didn't say what type of fruit.

I think your best bet initially is to start reading the RHS page on apple trees.  This gives links to info about diseases (including scab) and pruning.

You may have to live with the trees for a season before making an informed judgement on what is wrong and how to deal with it, if the neighbours can't help further.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 20:26 by Yorkie »

clip
My Allotment plots

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 16:28
by amiman
xx
Fruit questions

Started by amiman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2021, 12:29
by amiman
xx
Just a few questions about fruit and veg if i may please

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 10:00
by Rob the rake
xx
Peach Tree questions

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 00:05
by gobs

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 35 queries.