Over wintering perennials

• 17 Replies

allotmentann

Over wintering perennials
« on: August 30, 2012, 17:58 »
I have been growing perennials from seed for the first time this year, many are still small and in pots outside. They are fully hardened off, but too small to plant in the garden until next year. How do I care for them over winter? Will they be okay left outside and just covered with fleece when it is very cold? Or do they need to be brought into the house or polytunnel?
Thank you :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Over wintering perennials
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 18:27 »
I would leave them outside as much as possible.  If the winter proves to be very wet, it may be worth putting them in the polytunnel as waterlogging can finish a young plant. Similarly, snow or very cold temperatures can do for them if the pots freeze solid.

You need to avoid coddling them though, as mild conditions will fool them into growing too early and then they can get knocked back if they catch a frost.

Most growers either stand pots outside over winter, or if they grow under cover, it is in well ventilated unheated cover  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 19:06 »
Ok, that is good to hear as there are loads of them and I really didn't want to have to move them all. I was hoping that would be the case as I can perhaps get them planted out early next spring. I was worried that being in pots they were more likely to be affected by frost than plants already in the ground. A bit of fleece in severe weather may be the way to go then, or an open polytunnel.  Thanks for the reply :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 13:52 »
Depends on the pot size - go for big-ish ones so the compost will help to insulate.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 19:17 »
Goosegirl, do you think it would be best to pot them into slightly over sized pots? :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 18:32 »
Last week I purchased some perennials from a local garden centre. They were going cheap and I was a bit sick of buying annual bedding plants as I see them a bit boring. I asked the same question in the garden centre and the assistant told me a good layer of bark helps keep the soil temperature a bit warmer. She said because the soil is solid then the plant cannot take up water so therefore dies of dehydration. She said a bit of leaf burn you can get away with as folage usually dies back anyway and it really is the roots to care for, hope this helps  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 18:52 »
Hi Casper, did she mean to mulch them in their pots or plant them out and mulch them? I am expecting them to die back as they are mostly herbacious perennials (which will make it even harder to discern if they are okay or not!). I have such a lot that I have carefully nursed, I would hate to lose them now. (Garden centre annuals are very boring on the whole, I agree with you there.).  My problem is that  I have a garden full of trees and shrubs but not much colour. I think perennials should help to improve things. :)

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 22:52 »
Just keep them somewhere outside that's sheltered. Against the house wall, tucked in a corner or under trees/bushes.
I had perennial wallflower and penstemen cuttings that happily survived last Winter.

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:49 »
Just keep them somewhere outside that's sheltered. Against the house wall, tucked in a corner or under trees/bushes.
I had perennial wallflower and penstemen cuttings that happily survived last Winter.
Thanks for that, it is good to know that your plants survive that way. Mine are all along the walls of the house at the moment! It looks like a huge nursery. I have a few very sheltered corners too, I had not thought of using those, thanks for the tip :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:52 »
If you mulch the tops of pots with fine bark, it will help insulate the soil.  A sheltered spot will help, but don't be tempted to pot on into huge pots.  Plants will keep growing for a few weeks yet, but a small rootball sitting in a big pot of compost will get very waterlogged and be even more prone to freezing solid.

Perennials don't really take up much water over the coldest part of the winter, but after a prolonged cold snap,  pots can be surprisingly dry.  We always concentrate on the evergreens at work for watering as soon as things warm up.  Its unusual to have to water herbaceous perennials unless they do keep a quantity of foliage going over the winter  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 15:49 »
If you mulch the tops of pots with fine bark, it will help insulate the soil.  A sheltered spot will help, but don't be tempted to pot on into huge pots.  Plants will keep growing for a few weeks yet, but a small rootball sitting in a big pot of compost will get very waterlogged and be even more prone to freezing solid.
Good point New Shoot - not too big a pot, mulch with bark, and a bubble polythene wrap around the sides like a collar will also help.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 15:50 »
Yes allotment Ann I think she meant mulching up in borders. I think it may be a good idea either way. I have sown some Lavender successfully and dont want to lose them this year. I recently planted into pots not too large. I did a fine layer of gravel, compost then another layer on the top. I wonder if gravel helps to insulate or if I have to do anything more to protect them.  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 18:56 »
Ah! You are all so helpful. I would have been tempted to put them into bigger pots, so I am glad to know that. Will mulch and bubble wrap and be careful not to water unless they are dry.
Casper, I have some lavenders too that I hope will survive, I have only tried with perennials this year because growing veg has given me a bit more confidence to try.
Thanks so much to you all  :)

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 20:48 »
Yes, the help and advice is fantastic, this is such a helpful friendly forum, I was new to growing this year and have made lots of mistakes, but so long as i learn from them, hopefully not by letting my perennials die  ;)

fatcat1955

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 22:19 »
Your plant's will establish better if you plant them out now. The weather is still mild enough for them to put down their root's and then they will get away much quicker next spring. Autumn is actually known as nature's planting time.

xx
perennials should i cut them back

Started by ricky on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 17:12
by Yorkie
xx
perennials for border?

Started by mickbrov on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 13:13
by Agatha
xx
Digging up perennials

Started by casper on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 21:37
by snowdrops
xx
Failed perennials..

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:08
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 34 queries.