looking for fence covering plant

• 17 Replies

chrissie B

looking for fence covering plant
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:03 »
we have at the moment a strech of fence about 10, 12 foot long that has 3 russian vines on , we inherited from previous ovner , its straggly, not a nice colour and has a straggly straw covering behind it that cannot be removed without damaging the plant , so we decided to take them out and put in something bright and cheary and with a nice smell as well , so open to ideas please also will it be ok to do it now , as we dont have any too high tempratures well up here in the north east  ::)
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: looking for fence covering plant
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:27 »
No reason not to start straight awaywith new plants, if we ever get some summer weather you may have to water them :D
Which way does the fence face?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:33 »
You could try ivy,clematis,honeysuckle,climbing roses,depends on aspect fruit trees-cordon /espalier. I'd certainly add some well rotted to the planting hole/area as the vine will have depleted any nutrients over the years.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 14:27 »
passion flower, they grow quick too  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 16:11 »
its east facing and is getting a reassonable ammount of sun , when its out , but in the winter it doesent get much as the suns over behind it befor its over the house .
has the passion flower got a smell , i would realy like something smelly .
our new neighbours on the other side have 3 dogs and they all poo in the garden and i have to say its not cleared up on a regular basis , they are building a compound for them luckily on the other side of their garden but i digress thanks for the help
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 16:29 »
its east facing and is getting a reassonable ammount of sun , when its out , but in the winter it doesent get much as the suns over behind it befor its over the house .
has the passion flower got a smell , i would realy like something smelly .
our new neighbours on the other side have 3 dogs and they all poo in the garden and i have to say its not cleared up on a regular basis , they are building a compound for them luckily on the other side of their garden but i digress thanks for the help
chrissie b

Oh yes the smell of a hot summer, hot dog's poo and in our garden other peoples hot cat's poo. Yuck, truly disgusting :mad:

I have a trachelospermum jasminoides on my east facing wall. It is evergreen and the scent in summer fairly knocks your socks off. It is very happy in that position and is fairly romping along the fence and trellis.

Also clematis Armandii is scented and an evergreen.

There are other scented clematis. Fragrant Oberon tiny flowers but the smell is enormous and it is evergreen.
Also blue and white clematis which have the scent of almond essence.....triternata rubromarginata...... try saying that when you are drunk. :D :D

If you google Taylors clematis, and then search their site for fragrant clematis they have a lot there.

Really good quality plants with named day deliveries.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 18:21 »
Rambling rose "Albertine". Not mega smelly, but some scent. Masses of flowers at this time of the year, and another flush later on. Doesn't need much care, just keeping under control.

I love it.....can you tell? :lol:

Mum2mj

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 19:35 »
tosca100 it's beautiful I'm not sure I've seen it before!

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:10 »
thats so pretty , i would love to cover with roses , hubbys not keen , we had a lovly yellow one in greece that climed all over the front fence , only problem was the blooms dropped very quick , i said they wouldnt do that here not hot enough.
chrissie b

tosca100

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 14:25 »
thats so pretty , i would love to cover with roses , hubbys not keen , we had a lovly yellow one in greece that climed all over the front fence , only problem was the blooms dropped very quick , i said they wouldnt do that here not hot enough.
chrissie b

Awww it's a shame Hubby isn't keen. The last couple of summers have been so cool that the flowers have lasted really well. Yes, there are a lot of falling petals, but underplating with herbaceous plants means you don't really notice them. This is just one plant, about four years old. Great value.

Missed my Greece holiday this year, could just do with a spell of toasting on a beach, with plenty of cold dips in the sea.............. :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 14:56 »
Missed my Greece holiday this year, could just do with a spell of toasting on a beach, with plenty of cold dips in the sea.............. :(

NO NO NO! don't start me off again, it's 34C on Zante today...sob sob!

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 16:55 »
Rambling rose "Albertine". Not mega smelly, but some scent. Masses of flowers at this time of the year, and another flush later on. Doesn't need much care, just keeping under control.

I love it.....can you tell? :lol:

Wow..... stunning!  I may invest in that one myself, I've recently developed a love of climbers, and roses and clematis in particular.  I bought another rambling rose yesterday from Gardeners World Live called Super Elfin, a stunning red rambler that is currently FULL of buds, can't wait for it to flower, its going to be beautiful.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

tosca100

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 18:12 »

NO NO NO! don't start me off again, it's 34C on Zante today...sob sob!

Ooops, sorry Mum, didn't want to cause wanting...... :blink: :D

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 10:46 »
well i showed hubby your pics and he said to put in what ever my heart desired so i think its going to be some roses do you think 2 plants will be enough i would think the length would be 10 ft to maybe 13, 15 if i let it go as far as the conservatory , i was thinking 3 .
chrissie b

tosca100

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 11:46 »
That fence is twenty feet, with one rose. It grew really quickly and is now turning the corner onto a wall where it will soon meet ip with a really nice smelly yellow climber.

xx
covering pebbledash

Started by owein on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 19:20
by richyrich7
xx
Clear plastic covering the new seed bed?

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2022, 21:20
by grinling
xx
Fence

Started by courgette on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 16:48
by tam
xx
Twig fence

Started by Dotty on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 19:16
by Spana

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 34 queries.