what can we plant underneath the trees?

• 6 Replies

meridiangarden

what can we plant underneath the trees?
« on: February 14, 2011, 13:47 »
Hi Folks.
I am leading a group who are creating an communal allotment and garden on a council estate. The council have given us the go-ahead to use a plot of land on the estate and we are getting things ready now!

The plot is a decent size, but over half of it is taken over by trees. There are 4 trees (I can't remember now what sort they are, but they are well established and deep rooted).

We are going to create vegetable patches around the trees. Underneath them we were going to buy some raised beds, but the council have pulled the plug on the grant we were applying for. We won't be able to buy any raised beds now. :blink:

I was thinking we could plant something underneath the trees that flowers. Does anyone have any ideas of what we could plant?

We as a group are novices with limited gardening experience (I have veg and flowers in pots but not in a garden) so any help or advice would be greatly received! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what can we plant underneath the trees?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 14:31 »
spring bulbs and flowers do well, as they flower before conditions get too shady.
Later on things like foxgloves and perennial geraniums are easy.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22 »
Where are you?  You could do with trying to get a load of freebies if the council aren't going to help.  You could also do with trying to plant stuff that will give a show of flowers for as long as possible through the year - so if you can start with some shrub or bulbs that flower yearly - the idea of the geraniums is great - especially if you do the Chelsea chop with them - i.e. cut them back when the Chelsea flower show is on and they'll come back and flower again later in the year.  I would suggest you try all open gardens, National Trust gardens, garden centres etc in your area and ask them for cuttings/spare seedlings etc so that you can do as much as possible for free!

meridiangarden

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:59 »
thanks folks. We are in Greenwich, SE London. My username shoud have been Meridian Garden but I made a silly typo.

The council are giving us free compost and supplying Community Payback to dig up the area in preparation.

We also have a £150 grant which we will use to buy spades, hose pipe, canes, netting etc. Then I thought that the alotment members could buy seeds.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Is it not a bit late to be planting bulbs?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 13:32 »
Things like snowdrops are planted in the green so you see them for sale (I got mine on ebay) about now, I think bluebells are the same, but a bit later in the year.
But you are right the other bulbs can't be planted until autumn  :)

gillie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 12:34 »
Cyclamen coum.  Ours have been flowering for many weeks now, and show no sign of stopping.  They are also self seeding around the place - but in a good way.

Junie

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 14:15 »
Helebores are lovely too - if you can find someone who has them, I am sure the larger one's can be split.

clip
Help with trees and plant ID

Started by love-my-plot on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 16:10
by love-my-plot
xx
yew trees

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 08:47
by simongrow250
xx
bay trees

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 23:53
by lincspoacher
xx
yew trees

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 19:19
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 32 queries.