cut Flowers and lots of creepy crawlies

• 4 Replies

thumper

cut Flowers and lots of creepy crawlies
« on: September 15, 2010, 22:12 »
This year i grew lots and lots and lots of flowers on my allotment intending to make small posies for my friends and myself. The flowers grew in abundance only trouble
was i could not make use of them for the bugs that came out of them every time i took some indoors. The main problem was lots and i mean lots of very very tiny things a lot smaller than a pin head that kept jumping and popping out all over the place and crawling around everywhere.  I have no idea what they are but would like to try again next year with a solution to the problem any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 22:22 by thumper »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: cut Flowers and lots of creepy crawlies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 18:16 »
They are pollen beetles, cause no harm and are attracted to the light.  Perhaps place then near a bright light with paper underneath to start with?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

thumper

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 23:45 »
Hi Yorkie thanks for your reply i have just looked up Pollen Beetles and its not them. They are very very fine finer than and slimmer than a needle almost like a hair to look at and a very lightish grey you cant even recognise what they are just tiny little hairs no longer than a few mm hopping and jumping out of the flowers they show up really well on white but still cant see what they are or what to do about them. :unsure:

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:35 »
Sarah Raven suggests putting the flowers in a dark place like a garage for a few hours.  Apparantly the bugs hop off in search for light and hey presto, a clean bunch of flowers :D

thumper

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:19 »
Hi Sarah thanks for your advice i did give it a go to an extent this year i put them in my very dark allotment shed for an hour before i went home but when i got them home still were hopping about all over my sink drainer. Not nice :tongue2:

xx
Holes......lots of em.

Started by chutneymaster on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 02:42
by Trillium
xx
from this......(lots of pics)

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:01
by agapanthus
xx
What can I do with lots of laurel leaves?

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 20:10
by 8doubles
xx
Flowers to cut

Started by thestens on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:33
by thestens

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 34 queries.