Serious poo problem

• 6 Replies

Wendybil

Serious poo problem
« on: July 23, 2013, 18:53 »
Hi,

I have a 2 1/2 yr old RIR that has been sickly for about a week. Pale comb, tail drooping, not eating, and whitish-yellow poop sticking to her fluff. Her vent is pink and clean, no discharge, I tried to feel inside for an egg or broken shell, but didn't feel anything. When I wash her rear end, she has a bulge below her vent that she'll squirm when I push on it (gently of course). At first I thought egg-bound, but I'd heard they will die within a few days, and there really hasn't been a change in her. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, with the exception of me pressing on that bulge.

I don't want to offend anyone with these pics, but I really need help. We've been having a heat wave for the past week (110-115 degrees) so I have her indoors where it's cooler, and the others can't peck her and she's getting chick starter and fresh fruits and veggies.

Help!

Thank you so much!
Wendy

P.S. You are welcome to use the poop pic ;)

Edited by Aunty to display pictures

Beano

Re: Serious poo problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:59 »
That does not look too healthy to me and maybe a vet visit is needed.  Sorry I cant be more helpfull and hopefully someone will come along soon who knows more than me to give you some advice.
El.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:06 »
Personally I would get her back onto layers pellets only ,they have the right mix of everything she needs. Chick crumbs are just for chicks and a totally different formula .
I cook therefore I grow

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07 »
The bulge by her vent is likely to be her preen gland and this is normal. I would stop all treats and only feed a complete feed. At 2.5 years she should be on  layers not chick food which has a much higher protein content and more calcium. It is hard to tell but in the poo pic is that undigested veg? You could try her on somepro-biotic yogurt - not a lot - just to reset her system.

You do need to wash her bum as she could get fly strike - where flies lay their eggs, they hatch and will start to eat your chook. Sorry I know that sounds gruesome but it is gruesome especially for the chook. :)

Have you wormed her? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 16:04 »
If the bulge is above the vent it will be the preen glands, but I see you say it is below the vent so it could be a stuck egg or a growth.  You will probably be better to consult a vet as she will need quick attention if it is either.

As others have said she should be on layers pellets and cut out treats which could be making her poo runny.  Green leafy vegetables will be fine though.  Make sure all your birds have access to both poultry grit and crushed oyster shell.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Wendybil

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 18:45 »
Thanks for your comments! I do normally have her on layer pellets, and they always have oyster shell available. The reason I've had chick starter there for her (she's not eating it) is for the higher protein and calcium - since she isn't eating, this will give her more nutrition (I read this on another site).

I will give her some yogurt as soon as I get home. It's not undigested vegetables, and there are no worms in it, but I will go get some worm medicine today and give her that. I do keep her washed up, she gets this way almost every time she poops, (which isn't very often now, because she isn't eating) and I wanted to get a pic.

Last night she actually looked a bit better, her comb had a little more color, and I left the cage door open and she came out and walked around the house for about 20 min. She'll "talk" a little, but still isn't eating or drinking much.

One other thing - there is no smell to it. Having her in the house, I keep expecting to start smelling chicken poop, but even when I'm right down there with her, there is no smell.

Thanks again everyone!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 21:02 »
Chick crumb is higher in protein but as far as I know it does not contain calcium, just checked mine and it is not listed.  The calcium is in the layers pellets to help for a strong egg shell so she needs to have layers pellets.  You can add boiled water to layers pellets to make a porridge and let it cool before offering her some.  They usually like it and it is a good way of getting the right nutrition into her as well as hydrating her at the same time.   ;)

You mention that she has access to oyster shell but not grit, they do different jobs so she needs both.  The grit is used in a chickens digestive system to grind the food in the gizzard so that they can absorb the nutrients.  The oyster shell is added calcium for good egg shells and hens will help themselves as and when they need either.   :)

xx
vet problem

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 18:03
by Catsmuvva
xx
eye problem

Started by dalesman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 18:46
by dalesman
xx
Eye problem

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:19
by joyfull
xx
Hen poo problem

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 20:39
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 33 queries.