What to do with wood chippings

• 6 Replies

Patch

What to do with wood chippings
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:57 »
Hello Allotmenters  :)

Not sure if this is the forum to put this up but here goes.

I have a green recycling bag, the type that the local Council gives out in order for people to take garden waste to the local Recycling Centre, and, thanks also to having a shredder, I have filled it with wood chippings.  But I would like to know now from more experienceds gardeners / allotmenters what to do with the wood chippings

(1) Do I use them bit by bit in the compost bin, as part of the "brown" material that goes in, or

(2) Do I use them on the garden itself as a weed suppessor?

(3) Or both 1 and 2?

Many thanks for the advice.

:)

Nige2Plots

Re: What to do with wood chippings
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:59 »
I generally use it a a mulch and for making paths on the plots. I then dig it in at the end of the season,

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12 »
The same as Nige.  I use them on pathways and in the chooks run.  Then they get put in a pile for 6-9 months and then dug in on the plot. 

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43 »
same here, paths and chooks. 

when I replanted raspberries I put cardboard in between every plant and then put on the bark to keep it down.  Raspberries have obviously enjoyed the dampness underneath and have multiplied very well (need dividing again now) .  And hardly a weed between them.

Patch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:56 »
Thanks for the advice fellow gardeners / allotmenters.  :)

I have read also that because they take so long to rot down that it is not a good idea to put them into the compost bin, so that's why I was unsure and wanted to find out more from yourselves.

I'll look at putting the wood chippings down the sides of a pathway in the garden where flowers are growing, to keep the weeds down and then, as Nige2Plots says, will then dig in come the end of the year.

:)

Brambles

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:57 »
I used wood chippings some years ago as a mulch...  I found that it encouraged HUNDREDS of woodlice into my garden.. fine if they stuck to the wood chippings, but some of my young plants were attacked too!   Has anyone else had this problem?  Maybe it is worth having another attempt as they seem to be used by so many gardeners...

DATA311

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:09 »
I had a friend who an allotment a good few years ago, who was given a fair amount of wood shavings, now he did not want to put it onto his plot straight away because it was pretty fresh, so he put it to one side and left it.
Now 2 years went by before he decided to spread some about on his garden, on digging into the pile of shavings he discovered that it had encouraged red worm by the bucket load.
So if there are any anglers out there like myself, have a look in the shavings rather than paying rediculous prices for live bait down the shop........... :D
Nil illegitimi Carborundum

xx
wood chippings

Started by moneyspider on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 09:26
by celjaci
xx
wood chippings

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 20:58
by RichardC
xx
Wood chippings

Started by pete f on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2022, 10:38
by Subversive_plot
xx
Wood chippings with leaves

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 19:52
by Totty

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.