Asparagus planting

• 2 Replies

prakash_mib

Asparagus planting
« on: April 07, 2021, 12:46 »
Received crowns 10 minutes ago. Not happy that sent it out during very cold spell.
My bed is ready since January.
Question is when should they be planted? 
Should I leave them in the room with main spuds. Still chitting. And plant around apr 20th?
Needless to say that I am feeling now like a complete allotmenteer  :D
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Re: Asparagus planting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 13:15 »
Don't worry about the cold journey - won't affect them. I got mine last week and advice is to plant them as soon as you can after getting them.

This was a second lot I bought to expand my patch with and I soaked them in water overnight as I swear that was advice I received about five years ago when starting my first lot. Oddly now I can't find any reference to needing to do that! Anyway, I soaked them and planted the next day - just got the few years' wait now until the first harvest!   ::)

prakash_mib

Re: Asparagus planting
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 14:17 »
Don't worry about the cold journey - won't affect them. I got mine last week and advice is to plant them as soon as you can after getting them.

This was a second lot I bought to expand my patch with and I soaked them in water overnight as I swear that was advice I received about five years ago when starting my first lot. Oddly now I can't find any reference to needing to do that! Anyway, I soaked them and planted the next day - just got the few years' wait now until the first harvest!   ::)
Thanks. Watched Monty’s video and he says the same. Soaking it overnight. Will do it on Friday

xx
planting asparagus

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 20:53
by DavidT
xx
planting asparagus

Started by lucylou on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 23:15
by lucylou
xx
Planting Asparagus

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 19:42
by fatcat1955
xx
asparagus planting

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 17:21
by Teabag

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 41 queries.