Just a couple of noshery observations...

• 52 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Just a couple of noshery observations...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 15:08 »
Calorie counting my rear end. More like money counting to me! As for more nosheries Mr G, we haven't started on the wine list and what about those exorbitantly-priced cocktails? May I suggest trying these for starters:-
Wine:
Chateau Frenglisher au Grenouise. Its sumptuous mellow tones so reminiscent of Autumnal mists and mellow fruitiness gently linger on the palate then the full velvety richness of gently ripened berries develops as it gently smooths its way down into the warm depths below, only to leave a final sad goodbye with a hint of fresh morning dew.
(Created by the recently employed Sommelier's attempt to reduce costs by scraping the left-over bits of various fruit compotes and jam into a bucket, adding a bit of dried yeast and sugar, then in a few day's time it gets sieved, bottled and corked. The labels are his own design which he prints out on his weekly day's leave. His reward is a free meal once a month.
Blanc du Simpleton. Created from grapes grown on the southern slopes of the Simplon Pass, this specially-created wine simply shines with its aroma of fresh mountain air, newly-mown hay, and a soft undertone of wild flowers.
Cocktails:
Bamboozler. So-called, because at the end of the night the wine waiter who draws the short straw has to up-end every empty bottle of whatever sort into various containers, then in the morning he mixes all the dregs (sorry, lees) into a big jug and adds some blue food colourant. Whoever tries it is totally bamboozled as to what it contains.
Exocet Eye-Popper. So-called from the previous Sommelier's attempts with the aforesaid wine when he added a bit too much dried yeast but, as a rather thrifty and very underpaid person, he still bottled it but with the caveat that, when opening said bottle, it is best to open it outside or it will have your eye out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 19:36 »
Ha ha ha, thank heaven I am teetotal.  :lol:  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 22:56 »
Outdoor reared sausages they only have little legs how do they keep their bellies clean,Have seen outdoor reared pigs near Selby I asked the lad feeding them were the sausages were reared he looked at me daft  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 06:59 »
Love the wine list, GG!

If you've read 'Cannery Row', by John Steinbeck, there's the delightful passage describing one of the locals getting a job in the bar.

Every evening, all the slops went into a large jar, and he took it back for his chums to consume...

:0(

mrs bouquet

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 22:44 »
In days of olde, didn't all the slops and overspill, the beer from the new barrel being pulled through, before it cleared and all that stuff, go into a barrel and wasn't it then sold as "mild" ?   Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 18:28 »
In days of olde, didn't all the slops and overspill, the beer from the new barrel being pulled through, before it cleared and all that stuff, go into a barrel and wasn't it then sold as "mild" ?   Mrs B

Yup!

;0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 21:26 »
All those slops and things making "Mild".   Wasn't it also known as ullage ?   I believe there are some complicated rules nowdays about it and what gets taxed etc.  not sure though.   :unsure: :unsure:  Mrs B
Sorry gone abit off thread.

Growster...

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 06:58 »
You're grand on the thread, Mrs B! (You can see that I've been reading a few Irish thrillers...)!

In fact, 'Tripe lumps avec ullage', are a delicacy well known in some circles, I just hope I never ever have to consume them...!

The economics of ullage are: -

1) You can get a refund on ullage.
2) You can sell it as any old beer, and get much more.

Economics aside, if the slops contain a mixture of expensive continental lagers, strong ales etc, then anything will improve the quality of mild beer, which really is not for the squeamish these days.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 07:33 »
Tarts.
I'm going to observe that you never get tarts any more. It's always an apple or rhubarb pie. This isn't America, this is the UK and we have tarts. Modify to clarify, tart is pastry, lumpy apple mush, pasty. Sugar on the top if your feeling fancy. Does anyone have any good recipes for such a thing? The family recipe is lost.  :(

I saw on some sort of BBC consumer programme years ago that in some places the house red was the undrunk dregs poured into a bottle and given a swirl around to mix it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:40 by WeavingGryphon »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 09:54 »

In fact, 'Tripe lumps avec ullage', are a delicacy well known in some circles,

Economics aside, if the slops contain a mixture of expensive continental lagers, strong ales etc, then anything will improve the quality of mild beer, which really is not for the squeamish these days.

Tripe lumps - what is that - urgh   You can try and tell me what it is like  :lol:
Good for a mega hangover  :mellow:  Mrs B

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 15:51 »
Chicken Goujons - a by product of caponisation? :)

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 21:04 »
Went to Hull today to visit the Michaelangelo exhibition at the Minster.
En route from the station we were looking for somewhere for a spot of lunch, and our attention was drawn to an establishment offering 'hand crafted sandwiches'.  :unsure:
Reluctantly we moved on, much preferring the old days when they used steam driven traction engines to place slices of Ham on a slice of bread.   :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 11:10 »
flapjacks, that's another thing.    I just like a plain one, possibly with a few sultanas.    Oh no, not now, they have to be made with granola, museli, nuts, especially pistachio, and anything else that relates to a "new flapjack"  -   I just want an "old-fashioned" one,    says she, stamping her foot.     >:( >:( :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 12:30 »
Seriously - for once - I do remember someone small in Wales referring to being fed 'tea slops'.

Anyone know what that particular delicacy was?

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 17:40 »
Chicken Goujons - a by product of caponisation? :)

Goujons is the old french for Gudgeon which are good to eat. :)

xx
A couple of handy hints

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2020, 17:45
by Growster...
xx
Wales is Closed for a couple of hours

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 17:16
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 55 queries.