FOX - should I risk it?

• 5 Replies

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
FOX - should I risk it?
« on: April 07, 2012, 17:43 »
I have two new pol girls with a fort knox diy coop and similar small 2sq meter run. I would love to let them out now and again as our 220' semi wilderness garden would be great BUT there is a fox we often see daily in the back half. Could I let them out when I am in the garden? Would they stay with me or disappear never to be seen again? I'm terrified I'll lose them. OH is 'marking' the territory and I'm hoping this will help. Fox has not attempted to disturb them yet - only had them a week. What do you think?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: FOX - should I risk it?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 18:21 »
Personally I wouldn't risk it if the hens can disappear into the undergrowth.  We have very bold urban foxes and I've had to chase them out of the garden first thing when I've gone to let the chooks out of the coop and into their run.

We also had one on the garden a few nights back before it was even really dusk and he created panic in the ranks, even though they were safe in their runs  >:(

If you have places they could be laying up during the day you may well have one within spitting distance and not even know  :ohmy:

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 18:58 »
Personally I wouldn't risk it if the hens can disappear into the undergrowth.  We have very bold urban foxes and I've had to chase them out of the garden first thing when I've gone to let the chooks out of the coop and into their run.

We also had one on the garden a few nights back before it was even really dusk and he created panic in the ranks, even though they were safe in their runs  >:(

If you have places they could be laying up during the day you may well have one within spitting distance and not even know  :ohmy:

Thank you New Shoot - I think those are very wise words.

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 20:07 »
Never ever trust a fox, you can even see the scrape marks on my coop of them trying there best to get in to it, i have so far killed 2 of them (people feed them for some reason) and they know now to avoid my garden until the early hours of the morning
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:13 »
The vixens are hungry at this time of year. They are feeding cubs and will take greater risks, coming out in daylight and attacking spontaneously.
My chooks are used to freeranging but we've had a bad fox attack already in broad daylight and I scared off the vixen who was going round the run at 8.30 this morning. The hens were very freaked out but I think the run is secure.
And that's where they'll be staying for a while.......
Better safe than sorry.

tortzblue

• Darcey Bussell
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:52 »
Thanks for your comments. I definitely won't risk it. I think I'll try and make the run bigger for them - p'raps Heras fence panels if I can get some. :)

xx
i am taking to much of a risk

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 10:20
by karlooben
xx
Salmonella risk

Started by shaggybfc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 15:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
How high is the risk???

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:09
by shetan
xx
Risk Assessment for poultry on allotment

Started by Suba on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2018, 22:32
by Suba

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 40 queries.